Anyone have wiring info for a 4cyl to V8 swap?

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
Here's my story. I have access to a lift rack, air tools and a garage, but I can only get it for a few days at a time. I have a 1986 mustang 4 cylinder 5 speed and I have a 1991 5.0 complete donor car. I kinda need the exact low down on the wiring if anyone has the info for me. I've got all the other stuff figured out except for the wiring. I will be having a friend help me with this project, we plan on doing the engine and harness on one weeekend and tackling the suspension and other stuff on another weekend

• Sponsors (?)

To start, I would completely strip the donor car. Set the parts aside.

Next, get the 86 on hoist and completely strip that. Then take your donor parts and assemble the 86 one step at a time. That's what I did on my swap, and it worked excellent and smooth.

I would drop the entire K-frame suspension, motor and transmission as one unit. Then just bolt it up into the 86. (The only thing you will have to change is the upper strut mounts.) The 84-89 Mustang have a different top plate with the back two studs next to each other. The 90-93 has the back to studs staggered. I ran into this putting 91 struts in my 81 notch.

I would also use the entire harness from the donor car to make it easy. Are you using the donor body parts and interior parts too?