Anyone here with fuel injected 5.0?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I know a guy who is willing to sell me his modified 5.0L along with his T-5 tranny and I am going to put them in my Mustang. He's going to give me all the harnesses and sensors it takes also. I want to know what it's going to take to make the T-5 fit under this car. Will the bellhousing fit or will it be too large in diameter? I am basically just wanting to take the engine out of his 1994 GT and into my 1965. I know I'm going to have to buy a tranny crossmember, have the driveshaft modified, and get a clutch pedal assembly. I know exactly where I can get the clutch pedal assembly for nothing, so that's not a problem. I also know where I can get the crossmember for about $150. But, I need to know everything it took and any fabrication you had to do. Pictures would be great if you have them.

Oh, I also plan on eliminating the power steering pump and the A/C compressor, because I will not be using either one of those.

Thanks for any help guys, I'm really looking forward to this very soon! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Couple things. First, you are going to need to either extensively modify the stock 94 wiring harness (don't forget the computer) to fit your 65, or buy a pre-made conversion harness. They say there are some stumbling blocks to using a 94-95 SN95 5.0. Something to do with the front dress. The Windsor-Fox website details this well, but the site isn't working for me right now.

Lots of info here:
http://www.geocities.com/stangnetswapper/

Speed_Demon1965 said:
Thanks for the link. What would I have to modify about the wiring harness to make it work on my 65?

There's no short answer to that one. Follow the links in the one I provided and that should help alot. Mostly you need to tie the latemodel stuff into your current wiring, cut a big hole in the firewall to route the new wires to the computer that will go approximately where the glove box is now. It is possible to strip out the wiring that goes to the smog equipment that you don't need. You have to run wiring to the fuel pump cutoff switch that goes in the trunk. Oh yeah, you have to build a new fuel system starting with an electric fuel pump that would mount near the fuel tank. It is a very do-able swap, but it is much more involved than a simple engine swap.

Edit: oh yeah, and yo have to plumb the oxygen sensors into the exhaust too.

Almost the same thing i did to my car. Put a 95 motor and t5 tranny into my car. If you have a c4 in the 65 right now, then your stock drive shaft will fit as long as the yokes are the same. More than likely, they are, so don't go throwing that away yet. As for removing the ac and ps, you need to get an elimator bracket for it. Try march pullies or ebay. I made my own cause i didn't have any brackets to begin with. To save the headache, i just left the fuel injected part out and used a carb set up. You can check some pics and stuff at my cardomain site. http://members.cardomain.com/jae902
If you have questions, u can email me.

jae902 said:
...To save the headache, i just left the fuel injected part out and used a carb set up. ...

Then why even bother? You're never going to get the benefit from EFI, unless you convert over. Among other things, this means converting the wiring harness. I don't think Windsor Fox does anything for EEC-V conversions. They will convert the stock EEC-IV harness for a fee, or sell you one of their own. I thought I was saving money by having them convert mine, but I didn't get what I expected. It doesn't look much different than when I sent it off too them, and they didn't even clean it up. Plus, they used crimp-on connectors which I think is cheapskating it.

Steve C.

Well, unless the "benefits" of EFI is all that he is after in this swap, personally I would not deal with the headache either, I would carb it still also, that's why bother. The main reason would be that I still prefer to work on my car myself with a wrench and I have no desire to buy thousands of dollars in diagnosis equipment just to tune my hobby car. The whole reason I got a classic was to work on it myself, otherwise I would have bought a much newer convertible to spend the summer in if I wanted to let a mechanic do it for me or deal with a computer.

Well I like technology and carburetors are a headache. It would also look bad ass to pop my hood and people see a trick flow EFI intake sitting on top of a 302 with a cold air intake coming up towards to the front. I can see it now. Not to mention all of the benefits of EFI. It is just perfect all the time with no sputtering problems or any of that BS to deal with.

Speed_Demon1965 said:
66 BLAKE 96, is this the $60 harness thing your talking about from Ford Fuel Injection.com?
http://fordfuelinjection.com/harness3.html

No, that is basically a rebuild kit to restore a stock wiring harness to go into a Fox body Mustang. I'm talking about something like this:
http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/02harness/efiharn.htm

Scary price on that huh? :notnice:

It is very possible to do the wiring yourself, but it is not a small job, and it would really help to have an EFI guru friend to consult for trouble shooting.

EDIT: Cool, I found the conversion harness on that site:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/harness2.html

$475 is a pretty great price for what you get. :nice:

Pakrat said:
Oh, you actually like technology, I see, my bad. So it's just the old school look you like then obviously.

Well that and I like something a little different. A modified fuel-injected classic Mustang just isn't something you see running around here much. :D

66 BLAKE 96, thanks!

Alright, I've been looking at these harnesses and such. I'm not sure.

What would it take to keep the current harness? I have to tie it into my electical system, correct? Where does it tie in at? I plan on using the alternator off of the '94 also. Hmm....

Roughly 6-8 connections need to be made to use a donor harness. Most are power and ground for the computer and O2 sensors. The time consuming part is going through and removing the stuff you don't need, such as airbag circuits, light circuits, etc. I've got a few more links at my website that can be helpful.