Anyone here work out? Im gonna start...tips welcome...

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Whats up guys, im not THAT out of shape. But i would like to get my body back into shape and i figured since i will be adding a few pounds for Thanksgiving...i might as well get a head start.

Anyway, im not looking to be in a body building contest...or be the worlds strongest man. Just trying to be in shape and look good :p

So what tips do you guys have? Im 6'2"-6'3" and about 215lbs so i dont have that much weight to lose. I guess really i just need to get my stomach tightened up.

So i was gonna start trying to work out 3-4 times a week, run on a tredmill and get on a bike along with some situps. I was gonna concentrate on getting a good core first then if i wanted to get "bigger" then i could change my workout plan for that later.

Anyway, just figured i would post, hopefully there are some of you out there that know this stuff and what worksand what doesnt(although its different for everyone). Or maybe we are all just fat bastards who cant wait for thanksgiving to come:rlaugh: :lol: :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh yea, any tips from u guys while being in college how to avoid eating like crap? I try not to eat fast food alot but during the day, its hard to avoid. And i try not to eat late...but again, sometimes i have no choice. Would it be better to not to eat at all?

What about supplements? Protein shakes? I dont wanna take anything that will show in 20years to give cancer :lol:

lots of cardio is good for burning fat, however, the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. soooo, you gotta strength train, too. get some dumb bells for some arm/chest, and do push ups and things of that sort. you gotta keep on it, too. consistency is key. good luck.

lol yea....im gonna try to stick with it. I have went in and out of times of working out...just hard to make a schedule in college.

Im already doin push ups...but will have to get a good set up dumb bells.

Thanks again...keep 'em comin.

I ran 3-miles on a treadmill 4 times a week, and then I decided to start running outside when it started to get nicer outside. I'll tell you what, running 3 miles outside feels like running 5 miles on a treadmill. I know it's probably impossible to run in Michigan in the winter time, but if you can, definitely do it outside.

I hardly ever eat fast foods just because I don't like it. I usually eat whatever I want and usually eat 3 times a day.

As far as lifting weights, I only use them to keep toned...I don't like the look of the huge muscles (and my girlfriend doesn't either). I'm not whipped....I promise. :D

I usually stick to the machines instead of free weights when I work out just because they're great for defining/toning the muscles rather than bulking up. Whatever you do, DO NOT "over-do" it when it comes to strength training - I made the mistake of doing that and just saying to myself, "ok, one more, one more." Your body has a limit that doesn't feel like it's being exceeded until about 6 hours later when you go to stand up from your computer chair and your elbow feels like it's been dislocated. And if you do some research about training-to-failure, skip it. It's not for anyone who is just looking to get in shape. You'll hurt yourself big time.

I'm 5'7" 145 with an 11% body fat, which I don't think is bad at all for a college kid who does nothing but eat and drink beer on the weekends. I got down 18-20 pounds plus added muscle mass in about a year of working out from doing everything naturally/traditionally. The biggest problems I've ever had was lack of commitment because I wasn't seeing results right away. They'll be there - they seem to appear all of a sudden and you look into the mirror and say, "damn, when did this happen." It'll all be worth it then....

Joe

forgot to add: eat every 3-4 hours, and don't eat 3 hours before bed time. seriously avoid fast food--if anything, get subway (Jared has AIDS!!!).

get a fridge and stock up on cheap tuna (less mercury) and ham/turkey/fruits/veggies.

Monday: Lift chest, abs, run 20 mins (usually around 2.5-3 miles at my pace)
Tuesday: lift biceps, run 20 mins
Wednesday: Lift shoulders / legs, abs, run 5 mins (warmup cause you're lifting legs)
Thursday: Lift back, run 20 mins
Friday: lift triceps, abs, run 20 mins
Sat and Sun - days off, sometimes run a quick mile if I drank too much (punishment)

I've been doing this for a little over a year, maxout at 225 for 2 times in chest. It was tough around finals week, then my diet and plan went to crap. Now that I'm working, Im in much better shape because i have my routine. I treat myself great all week, then like crap on the weekends with boozing and eating out.

In terms of supplements, I have good success with Ripped Fuel Extreme Cut. I got on it with 4 pills a day a month and a half before spring break last year and while I didn't have a ripped six pack it was there when I flexed hard. Now its just plain old flat, but hey, I have a GF so I can let myself go a little.

I recently purchased a bowflex and I can't say enough about it. It really does wonders for definition. I find that the protein shake / big free weight plan is good for bulk, but I was never into that look.

adam

Definately stock up on some cans of tuna (go easy on the mayo if you like it). It has lots of protein and is rather cheap. I try to eat whole grain things for breakfast (like cheerios and real oatmeal) or eggs with 1 yolk per 4 egg whites (keeps cholesterol down), mixed carbs and protein for lunch, and high in protein food and veggies for dinner. Also after lifting I eat high-protein, high good fat foods to promote muscle healing.

As for working out I tried to stick with chest one day, followd by legs, then arms, and finally back. I also jog for about 15-20 minutes on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. I know if I did this consistently I would have been in shape rather quickly but it takes work to stick with it.

My advice is stick with it and you'll do well.

IT'S EASY!!!!
Work the negatives!!!
Ok, you can push those weights up, but now try and slowly let them down, very controlled. Figure 2-3X as long as it took for you go up with them. THAT will apply to ANYTHING you do with weights. As a guy, your metabolism will let making muscle make you feel lighter, but you will probably gain weight. It's not about the pounds game, it's how you look.

Joes95GT said:
I'm 5'7" 145

I'm about the same, only i'm about 135lbs.

I was doing cardio for a bit along with 3 sets of push ups and crunches a day. I stopped because I got a new job and I was getting a decent work out there. (I just got a town job and we're pushing massive amounts of leaves since its leaf season and its a good work out) I also started drinking more water and less soda and when I drank soda its usually diet soda. I really calmed down my fast food intake. I don't eat it at all but I do go to TGI Fridays and Applebee's sometimes.

I did start seeing a difference in my stomach area. The advice I will give you on running is wear good sneakers. If not, you will hurt your knee's more than you should. I also try to work out my right arm every night before I hit the sack ;)

a few words of experience from me here so here we go.
a-like someone else here said chicks dont dig all that steroid looking, juiced up bull**** so steer clear of that
b-if your working out in a gym you'll look better lifting less but doing it properly than these hammerheads who cant even do a full set or can barely lift the weight they're using
c-bring headphones for music to tune out all the nonsense going on around u (hammerheads in fig.b, people who come to coffee clotch instead of workout, etc.)
eating is the hardest part but is very important so tuna is good, i also take some protein but the cheap ****, more of a dietary supplement, not the $60 jugs that last 2 weeks.

I've tried some of my buddies protein stuff and it was terrible. I couldn't tell you what kind it was, but I tried 3 or 4 different kinds.

I even tried mixing it in beer. Still didn't taste good...:(

Joe

BE CONSISTANT.

Monday - Chest/Abs
Tuesday - Arms/Abs
Wednesday - Back/Sholders/Abs
Thursday - Legs/Abs
Friday - Abs/Cardio

being consistant is the key, i've been working out for a month now, 5 days a week, and i can already tell results. I try to eat right,
GET PLENTY OF SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and work out HARD, dont be a :taco:, work out as hard as possible every time in the gym. I dont take protein, or supplements, all natural.

id tried to take protein and it taste like ****. im 6 foot at 180 lbs. hopefully i get the detention officer postion and they will make my ass work out for two months.