Progress Thread ANYONE INSTALLED A 1997 COBRA REAR END ASSEMBLY IN 65 COUPE?

Jckmustang

Nov 11, 2018
Texas
I have a 1997 Mustang Cobra complete running/driving donor. I planned to install the drive train to include the rear end/brakes into my coupe. The 1997 has a solid rear axle with a Ford Racing limited slip center and 3.73 gears. I can't find anything on this really so far. I've been told it will have to be narrowed some. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

One of the guys on here did it years back, but chances are you would be able to find a different cradle that would work better(for instance, a Miata is much closer to the 65-66 track width and handles better than a Cobra anyway....and people often swap 8.8" rear ends into them. I am sure there are any number of other cradle donors more suitable). I know the Cobra swap was quite involved and I think he ended up flaring the quarters to get everything to fit....a lot of work for a rather heavy IRS setup....you are FAR better off making the live axle setup handle...Street or Track offers a nice kit to get 8", 9", or 8.8" solid axle to handle nicely. IRS is not the end-all and be-all of handling

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Yeah I made another post in regard to going IRS in my coupe. My 1997 has solid rear axle. I changed the post to reflect that. I am only looking to have around 500 hp and think the IRS would be nice combination. I have not ruled out staying solid axle though,.

Thanks! Yeah I made another post in regard to going IRS in my coupe. My 1997 has solid rear axle. I changed the post to reflect that. I am only looking to have around 500 hp and think the IRS would be nice combination. I have not ruled out staying solid axle though,.

People have swapped IRS units from Cobras, Jags, etc etc...but here is the problem with the idea of swapping...those IRS units were made for those other cars....unless you have the front suspension from those cars as well as the same wheelbase, any swapped unit is not going to handle the same as those cars....so finding actual performance data for a swapped IRS is going to be very difficult...its not like those who swap them do side-by-side skippad and slalom tests...whereas those companies with 3 and 4 link conversions for the solid axle are far more likely to have comparison data.