anyone installed trickflow valvespring upgrade ont gt40s chime in

89 notch rocket

Apr 10, 2008
i ordered the trick flow valve spring upgrade for my 3 bar gt40s do i have to shim the spring for the diffrence of not haveing the rotator anymore? , just wondering why it has the shims never changed the spring on gt40s before any tips let me know thanks guys and i ordered a shim kit for the ped mount ford racing rockers also what should i measure to make sure the shimmed right?

problem is i have the car running and at 4500 rpm the car brakes out i think its floating the valves they are stock spring should have changed them when i had them off if you have any input guys let me know thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I do, the intake side went on fine, now about the exhaust side, lol. The TFS spring kit says it works on factory style heads, but not on all GT40's. I did some research and people on the internet had the same problem, apparently Ford made some funky tolerence GT40 exhaust valves. (like mine)

Since my machinist refused to shim the hell out of them and I wouldnt want him to. I had to buy some Crane -.050 spring retainers for the exhaust side only and I think he used one shim per exhaust valve.

So depending on which valves you have it might or might not work without those retainers.

I have a set on my P heads.

When I got my set and installed them they came with different retainers for the intake and exhaust. The ones for the exhaust made it possible to use the same springs for both the intake and exhaust even though the groove for the locks is at different heights since the exhaust valves had the rotators.

Install is pretty easy just make sure that you use the correct retainers on the intake and exhaust valves. They were not marked in my kit but if you looked at them you could tell the difference. There is also a set of shims and tool to make sure that you have the proper installed height, I believe it is 1.800". The tool is a simple go/no-go tool. You put a valve in the head, pull it up tight and put a retainer and set of locks on the valve stem. Then while pulling up on the retainer/valve assembly use the tool to see if you need shims. Add shims until the tool is snug between the shims and the bottom of the retainer. You will need to do this with all 16 valves. Some may need to be shimmed a little others may not depending on production tolerances.

Mine went together pretty easy and I have put close to 20k on the car since then and not one problem.