Anyone know if MAC is still shipping parts

“And get off my lawn! Those Pokémon you’re chasing ain’t real!”
I agree with what you wrote. I just got a letter that Car Craft and Street Rodder are dead! And instead of extending my Hot Rod subscription, they are giving a trial to Motor trend online. (And maybe a subscription to a 4x4 or wine and cheese car magazine, nether of which I want.)

I think the computerized new cars were more than most shade tree mechanics understood, so the kids have never worked on a car with Dad (or Mom). So the ability and interest to use tools was not passed on.

and when we were kids, you couldnt wait to get that permit, then the license. Many of us were working on cars before we were old enough to drive. Sadly, that is far from the case with the younger generation now. Not only foxbody’s...... they just don’t care about cars any more, period!

• Sponsors (?)

I think the computerized new cars were more than most shade tree mechanics understood, so the kids have never worked on a car with Dad (or Mom). So the ability and interest to use tools was not passed on.
It's less of that than you think.

This hobby has always survived, and even thrived on change and technology. EFI was scary for a minute, and then you quickly saw the car magazines and later the forums switch from "how to ditch your EFI for a carburetor" to "carbs? carbs are for eating!" I mean, Mike and I are going to be among those doing the Prius electric steering conversions on our project cars, and that's tech that has only existed since 1991, and didn't go mainstream until the 2000s. It's actually a combination of shop classes disappearing from schools, college being pushed instead of blue-collar work, cash-for-clunkers and nafta driving used car values through the roof, and Boomers buying up all of the classics. Throw that it with runaway inflation on the price of a new car, migration away from rural areas and suburbs back into cities and environmental consciousness, and you've got a recipe for the end of a hobby.

Reactions: 1 user
Shop classes and Home Ec/FCS should not be required for students to know how to do basic things. Shop classes should be there for career prep. Schools have to spend a lot of time covering things parents should
have.
Also, why go out cruising or to the drag strip when the games like Grand Theft Auto let you “do” things more exciting than you could get away with in real life?

It's less of that than you think.

This hobby has always survived, and even thrived on change and technology. EFI was scary for a minute, and then you quickly saw the car magazines and later the forums switch from "how to ditch your EFI for a carburetor" to "carbs? carbs are for eating!" I mean, Mike and I are going to be among those doing the Prius electric steering conversions on our project cars, and that's tech that has only existed since 1991, and didn't go mainstream until the 2000s. It's actually a combination of shop classes disappearing from schools, college being pushed instead of blue-collar work, cash-for-clunkers and nafta driving used car values through the roof, and Boomers buying up all of the classics. Throw that it with runaway inflation on the price of a new car, migration away from rural areas and suburbs back into cities and environmental consciousness, and you've got a recipe for the end of a hobby.

I think the statement about kids and not caring about cars is generally true but there are exceptions. My daughter graduated high school last year. She drove my 7UP convertible to school every day and when I would offer my new car to her she would say "why would I want to drive that when I have a foxbody?" Now, I know she is my kid and I have probably drilled this into her head but her friends at times blow me away with the things they say. Her best friend out of the blue tells me "I love your foxbodies. You better not LS Swap them!" This is a 17 year old surfer girl. Go figure...

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Shop classes and Home Ec/FCS should not be required for students to know how to do basic things. Shop classes should be there for career prep. Schools have to spend a lot of time covering things parents should
have.
And now we're getting to the point that there's going to be a second generation of parents that never held a wrench or screwdriver in the next few years because neither school nor the parents taught them how.

I got "lucky". My family was so poor that I grew up holding the flashlight and getting yelled at by my dad while he fixed whatever :poo:box he and my mom were driving at the time to get it roadworthy enough to get to work the next morning. By the time I was ten years old I'd already changed a water pump on a Ford Aerostar and could do a starter on a Chevy small-block in about ten minutes. Now I work on cars for a living and hate it, but hey, the money's not terrible and I'm not sitting on my ass in an office being bored to death and dying from "sitting" which is apparently a thing now?

1579450280695.png

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think mac going out of business is a sign of much.
They literally made garbage.
Their quality was piss poor, i'm surprised they didn't go out of business a long time ago.

It's better to just economize with higher quality.
A lesson I've learned countless times.