Anyone know of a source to find an original 93 stereo?

Yes please. Let me know if you want to sell the cassette one if it will work for my app.

Thanks
According to Mike and the YouTube guy-it likely isn’t what you’re looking for-but here’s pics anyways lol-
03B3CD3A-FDCD-4408-9FC2-F46AB9274B17.jpeg
E39614FD-4A77-4CEA-9ECD-5C5EBAD04FDF.jpeg
D1144C75-7011-4FDE-8657-A1569598B2CC.jpeg
71A98926-F142-408B-9464-35E24E4F5DA8.jpeg
CFCD9B01-B8AE-4E8F-A2DF-3ABD4B650393.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

You are correct Ragged GT I have a list of pictures for radios from 87 to 93, 93 is its own Beast because you have the blue cable similar to USB that you have to have with the factory amp unless you bypass the amp and go with an aftermarket radio. Also they made two types of radios that are similar for the front face but the back is different. I have several pics that I'll attach with this I've owned every mustang year 88 to 93 except 87 but 87 had the same radio. If you notice two of the pictures in the back one has different clips for inserting the wire harness. 92 had the radio with the EQ which was one year only and 93 was different which is the same as Ragged GTs pics. I do remember you have to put a clip insert in the back and that's for interference with the amp I have a picture of that as well.

Attachments

• 20221203_134413.jpg
    20221203_134413.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221203_134306.jpg
    20221203_134306.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221203_134108.jpg
    20221203_134108.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221203_134016.jpg
    20221203_134016.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 50
  • 20221203_133929.jpg
    20221203_133929.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
According to Mike and the YouTube guy-it likely isn’t what you’re looking for-but here’s pics anyways lol-

So you could turn it into the right radio. But it would take parts i assume he doesn’t have. Mainly the squared off faceplate and the bottom tray.

If he managed to find a busted out 93 radio, he would then have all the correct parts and just needs to find a donor radio like yours.

I’ve been scooping radios up for a while now. (None for sale right now) and most of them have issues. Casette player on that radio likes to die, and the CD players have their own issues. Thing is with OE correct fox 93 style radios going for $250-300 and up, folks are trying to sell their busted radios for that much, vs the $50 or so a broken one should cost.

And I’m also finding a lot of folks are selling off ford radios as Mustang radios that are not correct.

I don’t have the right mix of parts at the moment to build one. I do have parts, but I’m missing bottom cubby tray brackets

I’ve been scooping radios up for a while now. (None for sale right now) and most of them have issues. Casette player on that radio likes to die, and the CD players have their own issues. Thing is with OE correct fox 93 style radios going for $250-300 and up, folks are trying to sell their busted radios for that much, vs the $50 or so a broken one should cost.
Hi Mike,
I couldn’t figure out how to PM you on this forum. I have a ‘93 Cobra with 47K miles and the OEM CD player. You seem to be the source for all things Foxbody-radio related. My CD player displays “error” a few seconds after inserting any CD. I’ve tried both newer CDs as well as a few known good CDs from that era to confirm that it’s not a format issue.

Do you repair and modify OEM radios? If,so, I’m interested in your pricing to upgrade mine to Bluetooth capable (no supplemental aux jack to preserve the OEM look) as well as a rough estimate on fixing the CD error issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave

(In my best computer voice) I have been tasked with handling all of Mike's negotiations for payment of services, we accept ITunes gift cards, Bitcoin and Staples gift cards.
Email me at givemeallyourmoneyanditellyouwhatyoubought.com

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Mike,
I couldn’t figure out how to PM you on this forum. I have a ‘93 Cobra with 47K miles and the OEM CD player. You seem to be the source for all things Foxbody-radio related. My CD player displays “error” a few seconds after inserting any CD. I’ve tried both newer CDs as well as a few known good CDs from that era to confirm that it’s not a format issue.

Do you repair and modify OEM radios? If,so, I’m interested in your pricing to upgrade mine to Bluetooth capable (no supplemental aux jack to preserve the OEM look) as well as a rough estimate on fixing the CD error issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately I do not repair these radios. I've been pulling them apart and learning about them, but am not savvy enough to repair a radio just yet. I actually have a few CD players with the "CD ERROR" displayed and have not been able to repair those just yet. I will admit, i haven't spent much time on it.

If you are on Facebook there is a gentleman named "Todd Lane" who posts in the "Foxbody Parts for Sale" group. He does the bluetooth and repairs on these radios.

If you want to try fixing it yourself with a donor, you can watch the video in post #13. You can try and snag a CD player from a contour off ebay for $100 or (they pop up once in a while) and try swapping the faceplate and lower tray over to turn it into a 93 specific radio.

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Last edited:
If you are on Facebook there is a gentleman named "Todd Lane" who posts in the "Foxbody Parts for Sale" group. He does the bluetooth and repairs on these radios.

Thanks for the quick reply! I had heard of Todd but try to stay off the FaceSpace crap. I just asked my wife to reach out to him so we'll see what he says. If I send mine to him I'll let everyone konw what I learn about the error message with the CD player. I wish it'd display a code or something so I'd at least know what it's upset about. The joys of dealing with what was then somewhat new technology, I guess...

And the rest of these comments are cracking me up. It's great to hear that you have a group of people ready to step in and negotiate your fees on your behalf :rlaugh:

I pulled this from a 94 V6 in early November, finally got around to snapping some pics ...

20221214_103027.jpg 20221214_103035.jpg 20221214_103042.jpg 20221214_103112.jpg 20221214_103128.jpg

I took the radio, amp and wiring harness. Aside from the yellow wire I cut (I assume it is a power wire) it looks to have a plug and play harness with connectors that look like they would fit the standard non-premium pigtails.

Started poking around a few of the bad radios I have to see about fixing them. This one turned on, but is forever stuck in TAPE

5945D12E-A277-4B3C-98DE-10FA9DE343A8.jpeg

Well that doesn’t look good. Looks like that chip butned a little and some burned out traces. Unfortunately a it’s an obsolete chip. Found a supplied, but projected delivery time is MARCH!! Going to see if I can pull one from another parts radio to get this one going.

• Surprised
Wow that board is dirty. Is that flux residue? Looks like someone touched up that board and didn’t clean it after.

I don’t think it’s flux. I think the chip labeled IC001 burned up and that’s spatter. Hard to see from the pic but the side is melted out. I haven’t tested to see if those traces are burned. Once I discovered the chip was obsolete I just closed it back up and put it back on the shelf. That one is a 94 thunderbird non-premium radio, so I don’t have another one like it to parts swap. It’s forever stuck on tape, but doesn’t actually play.

I am curious if the circuit boards very from similar radios in other cars? Do we need to start snagging F150 and Crown Vic radios for their chips?

The radios aren’t all the same. Still trying to get a sense for it, but it does seem like radios from other 93-95 fords were similar, but later 97-01 radios changed internally. Differnt conponents and such. Even the 87-92 amp wasn’t the same. It changed a couple times and the graphic equalizer radio got a different one.

I do have an original 93 cassette and cd player, although both are busted, but it seems a lot of 93-94 Lincoln’s and other ford radios share the same basic internals.

I fixed one radio that wouldn’t power on ( bad trace) but the CS player isn’t working and the sound is quiet/terrible. Another radio just shows this

CCAC0A7E-6035-4811-8B0C-F53221EE4EFF.jpeg

You don’t say?

I’ve got maybe a dozen or so of these style cd players and tape decks that have various issues. Trying to parts swap them into some fully functional units.

This 94 Lincoln deck sounds great, but the tape doesn’t work. It’s similar to the 93 mustang unit. Trying to figure out where to tap the right and left channel to add Bluetooth. I found the individual 4-channels to the amp, but I need the left and right channel.

FB70089F-A2EF-43CD-914C-037ECE9225DB.jpeg

I did find a guy on eBay who was an audio tech unloading all his service manuals. I bought one for a similar 1993 style radio so I hope it gives me enough info to be dangerous. We will see. There’s no reference or schematics for these. The unit above shows BaD but there’s no service doc that tells me what that means exactly. I’m basically poking around and learning.

BTw, if you guys have busted 87-93 radios and amps, I’ll take them. Premium, non-premium, etc. Looking for broken stuff so I can mess around and see how they work to repair them.

Last edited:
They are some of those IC’s on eBay. They are from china but it looks like they have stock. Might be worth a shot?

This is the item number. 392540514870

Look like a single layer board so you may be able to run jumper wires if the traces are burned.

Looks like a fun project. I can build and repair circuit boards no problem. Debugging I’m not good at unless it is obvious like that.