Anyone Replace their Ignition Tumbler?

Jan 3, 2003
MD
I meant to post this in here, not 5.0 tech.

It's the black piece you put the key in to start your car.

This morning all my lights came on when I turned the key. but nothing happened. There has been a lot of play in the unit. I played with it for a bit and it finally started.

The dealership is saying $325 for the job. The part costs 47.24. I think that's a bit steep. Anyone else have to replace it?

• Sponsors (?)

well looky here, i just did this this past saturday. the ignition switch with key and all was $14.99 at Auto Zone and i installed it, you even get a choice, black or chrome (this is what you're talking about, right???) if you're gonna do it, just turn your current switch to the "ON" position to where you see the panel light's come on, after that, poke the hole under the steering colunm(right under the switch) and the switch out with force. after it's out, just shove the new one back in and TADAAA, you're done. just be patient and strong, but MAKE SURE THE KEY IS ON THE ON POSITION CAUSE IT WON'T COME OUT IF IT'S NOT, trust me, i fought with it for about 30minutes before i realized this.

stunner6910 said:
well looky here, i just did this this past saturday. the ignition switch with key and all was $14.99 at Auto Zone and i installed it, you even get a choice, black or chrome (this is what you're talking about, right???) if you're gonna do it, just turn your current switch to the "ON" position to where you see the panel light's come on, after that, poke the hole under the steering colunm(right under the switch) and the switch out with force. after it's out, just shove the new one back in and TADAAA, you're done. just be patient and strong, but MAKE SURE THE KEY IS ON THE ON POSITION CAUSE IT WON'T COME OUT IF IT'S NOT, trust me, i fought with it for about 30minutes before i realized this.

Just a quick question then. How do you reset the tumbler to use the old ignition/door key with the new switch ?? Or do you have to get a locksmith to do that ?? :shrug:

Cyiberwulf said:
Just a quick question then. How do you reset the tumbler to use the old ignition/door key with the new switch ?? Or do you have to get a locksmith to do that ?? :shrug:

Thats another ball of wax...I was told to bring the ignition tumbler to a locksmith...they can re-configure the new one to work with your old door/trunk locks....

the weird thing is, i turned my key backwards to listen to the radio, then went to start, and like I said I had to play with it for a long time before it started. I thought my starter was shot or something. it hadn't done it since, but that's not a good feeling when you can't start and don't know why.

Ignition tumbler issues?

This is sort of a related issue...as we have the ignition switch and tumbler out. anyways, My brother was driving his 93 5.0 that he just bought a few days ago down the road and all of the sudden it dies on him. He finally figured out a little while later after messing with it that if he started it and then held the key forward then it would stay running and he got it home like this... If you return the key to the normal position then the car dies, but if you keep it just inbetween the normal on position and the START position (but making sure that the starter is off) then it will stay running. He was told that it was the ignition switch so he went and got a new one (the little part that plugs up on the bottom and uses 2 tork screws to hold it on). We replaced this part and THEN the damn thing won't even stay running using that trick. It would just start then immidiately die. SO then he went back and got the whole tumbler setup for another 10 bucks and we got the damn steering wheel off (WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY DO THAT that way?!) and replaced it and after we put that all back in It will start and run for about 2 seconds before studdering and then dying. This is more than it did before, but it still dies everytime.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY CLUES?!