Anyone running 18" X 9" wheels on SN95 axles?

cfelix7017

May 5, 2008
Just what the title says...

I have a complete rear disc conversion set from a 95 GT and was wondering if I could get away without buying the ranger axles and caliper brackets. I actually like the look of the SN95 axles better. Im pretty sure Im gonna buy a set of 18" x 9" saleen wheels and lower the car about 1.5" - 2". I've read mixed reviews wether it can be done or not. My quarter lips have already been rolled also.

• Sponsors (?)

18X9's carry a +24mm offset. Having the lips rolled is a HUUGE plus. You are gonna need as much room as you can get. They are gonna be right out to the edge with a 275 tire.

However, lowering the car 1-1/2 to 2 inches is gonna be too low with those axles and wheels.

I figured it probably would'nt work. I guess I'll have to stick with 17" wheels then. I definitely want the car lowered so I would rather sacrifice an inch of wheel.

Honestly, the 17" Saleen wheels look nowhere near as good as the 18's. For some reason when they down sized them, they just didn't modify them as well as say the FR500's...or for expample going from a 16" Pony wheel to a 17" Pony R wheel.

I would stick the 18's on there and find a spring package that doesn't slam the car. Or I would invest in some Maximum Motorsport Weight Jackers or the Steeda Weight Jack control arms. You can fine tune the ride height with the turn of a 1/2" rachet or impact. With a stock spring in place you can raise it 2" or lower it 1". Put a nice spring in there the drop can be made lower since you are starting lower. These are AWESOME arms to get your tire/wheel package and car just right.

To give you an idea of where the rim/tire will be on the quarter panel. Here is a shot of my car.

HOWEVER:

This is a 99-04 axle with a 17X9" wheel and a +45mm offset, 285-40-17 tire. 275's would give you an extra 5mm of clearance on each side. 5mm at the quarter, 5mm at the inner well. Now....I did the math while building this car. When using a 94-98 axle with a 17X9 wheel and a +24mm offset (which is the same offset as the 18X9) the tire sits the same at the quarter using either combo. With as low as you want to go, get a tire no wider than a 275.

This pic is deceiving. The tire was 1-1/2" above the quarter. My friend said that while going over bumps it looked like the cars suspension traveld up and down about 1". I just welded some bump stops on the frame rail so those would hit the axle 1/2" before the tire.
DSC04541.jpg

DSC04538.jpg

DSC04537.jpg

I went cheap to not make the car not bottom out. I did not spend the 400+ on the weight jackers, I just welded some bump stops on the frame rail so those would hit the axle 1/2" before the tire. Free, and easy. BTW....those are Steeda Sport Springs model # 8200, and HPM Mega Bite Jr's mounted on the bottom hole and using their provide two 1/4" spring spacers on each side. These springs made my car very low, too low...so I needed that extra 1/2" on each side.

Attachments

• DSC04541.jpg
    DSC04541.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC04538.jpg
    DSC04538.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC04537.jpg
    DSC04537.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for the pics.

I definitely would NOT go with the 17" saleens. I've seen those and hate the look of them. If i went with a 17" wheel I would probably run the 03 Cobra wheels, most likely the anniversary wheels. Just not sure if I would like the anniversary wheels on a red GT... I was planning on running a polished or chrome wheels, but I don't wanna be like every other red hatch.

Thanks for the pics.

I definitely would NOT go with the 17" saleens. I've seen those and hate the look of them. If i went with a 17" wheel I would probably run the 03 Cobra wheels, most likely the anniversary wheels. Just not sure if I would like the anniversary wheels on a red GT... I was planning on running a polished or chrome wheels, but I don't wanna be like every other red hatch.

You are welcome. I just added some extra info during an EDIT, so go back in case you missed something. I got detailed because when I asked questions on here and other sites I didn't have too much luck.

Good call on the 17" Saleens. I'm not a fan. 18" Saleens...:hail2:

17" 03 Cobra wheels and the 03 Anni wheels are both nice choices. They have both of those wheels available in deep dish now also. Another plus of running those wheels is that they have a +27mm offset which gives you an additional 3mm at the quarters edge. Every bit helps IMO. Those wheels also have the most backspacing over any other 17X9" replica Mustang wheel. You might have to flip the quads, or remove them. I had NO wheel hop without them, but I had Mega-Bite Jr' LCA and the Mega Bite UCA's and the stock sway bar.

More than likely not. If you want to run any of the 9" wide Ford rims you'll need to go to ranger axles and north cobra brackets. They just aren't deep enough. It's not offset you should be looking at, but rather backspacing. 17x8SN95 wheels are about 5.7" BS. If you run a 9" wheel you want the offset to be about the same but the BS to increase about 3/4" to around 6.5"

That's why I was looking into the S197 rims for the rear to run 9" wide wheels on sn95 brakes.

The backspacing on the cobra wheels os 6.02". With the fender lips rolled it will be very close.

Those will fit just fine. The backspacing is just the depth from the hub mounting surface to the outer wheel lip edge. Being that you are using SN95 axles pushing the wheels out more you can use a wheel with more backspacing because you now have more room for it. You just have to make sure the offset is correct so the wheels won't stick out past the quarter edge.

Here is a shot of a 17X9 +24mm offset Cobra r wheel and 275 tire. REMEMBER I used the 99-04 axle which is 1-1/2 inches longer on each side. The SN95 stuff is only 3/4" longer on each side. So picture this +24mm offset wheel sitting inward 3/4".

DSC03840.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

DSC03837.jpg

Your best bet is to use S197 offset wheels like 5L5 said. And that is what I used in my pics above. In the pics above with the S197 (+45mm offset) wheels, if I had the SN95 axle, the wheels above would sit inward 3/4" giving more clearance for a low vehicle.

Attachments

• DSC03840.jpg
    DSC03840.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC03838.jpg
    DSC03838.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC03837.jpg
    DSC03837.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 248