Anyone running a meziere electric h2o pump?

• Sponsors (?)

I put one on my daily driven car about a month ago and it been working fine...power gains are noticeable. I think I have met you before LS2 KLR... I have that Black GT in DP with the blacked out taillights, 03-04 cobra rims and fog lights in the grill. I think they are rated at 3000 hours before failure...so if you drive your car 1 hour everyday 365 days a year, you should be good for over 8 years on the same pump. Say if you average about 40 mph on average...its good for over 100,000 miles before it should go bad. Maybe more, maybe less but hey its free hp from an easy mod.

Brando

02 blk GT said:
I put one on my daily driven car about a month ago and it been working fine...power gains are noticeable. I think I have met you before LS2 KLR... I have that Black GT in DP with the blacked out taillights, 03-04 cobra rims and fog lights in the grill. I think they are rated at 3000 hours before failure...so if you drive your car 1 hour everyday 365 days a year, you should be good for over 8 years on the same pump. Say if you average about 40 mph on average...its good for over 100,000 miles before it should go bad. Maybe more, maybe less but hey its free hp from an easy mod.

Brando

Hey man, how's it going. I've seen your car around quite a bit, real nice. I've ran alot of cars in our area but everytime I've seen your car, it just wasn't convenient.

02 blk GT said:

Brando
That doesn't mean it won't fail after one hour, but hopefully it won't. I'm sure there are some gains, but it's almost impossible to measure gains that small and it's definitely impossible to feel gains that small. That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

02 blk GT said:

Brando
I think i ran LS2 KLR before too. It was like 2 years ago i just seem to remember cuz i was headed to the track for the first time in my 99 black GT and ran into you on I-10 headed east right before downtown/I-45. Are you a hispanic guy with really dark hair?

A mechanical water pump can fail too, just like an electric water pump. In both cases, you're gonna have to shut it down. Daily driven or track car. :notnice:

The electric radiator fan is cycled on and off constantly while you drive. Yet we don't worry about the radiator fan. We just know and trust it will work. The e-water pump stays on. It is not subjected to constant on/off cycles which is hard on electro-mechanical devices. Yet we are afraid the electric water pump will fail. :shrug:

You can install a digital water temp gauge. Cyberdyne has some nice ones. The digital gauges have a built in high temp warning feature. When the water temp reaches a user-selectable temperature, the display on the gauge will flash. That's far better warning than what came stock for the mechanical water pump. :nice:

My thoughts on HP gain possibilities with an electric water pump.

In addition to swapping from the mechanical water pump to the electric water pump, I would look into setting the electric system up such that when you press the gas pedal to the floor, the alternator is temporarily disconnected and the car runs off just the stored power in the battery. Kind-of like the way the A/C compressor is temporarily disconnected (A/C clutch opens) when accelerating. There should be more than enough power in the battery for the minute or two one could keep the gas pedal to the floor.

With the electric water pump, it too would be running off the power/energy from the battery, not the engine. Less accessory drag on the engine should result in more HP to the rear wheels, no?

This is in contrast to when you have a mechanical water pump. I don't think there is any easy way to disconnect it from the serpentine belt when accelerating, and not have it stop pumping at the same time. :shrug:

Now, all we need is an electrically driven hydro pump, and the change-over would be complete.