Anyone try these Accel 5mm plug wires?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
This might be potroast, as i noticed these in an old mag that i didn't read through....I always thought bigger was better but who knows? I might be getting new wires soon so has anyone ran these? I think it would be cool to be able to route all the wires up around the head in something like a heat wrap and keep them all together, and supposedly that's the idea behind these.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/sparkplugs/5mm_Wire.pdf

• Sponsors (?)

tillmanspeed said:
I have seen those on pro stock cars...

they're supposed to have just as much spark as a 8.5-9mm wire?

That's their claim. I think the talk about saving weight is kinda silly....we're talking ounces, maybe a couple pounds total. My main interest is just to keep them further away from my headers, and to hide them as much as possible to clean up the engine bay more.

88 Fox GT said:
How do their internals compare to other plug wires? Smaller diameter means more resistance unless their internals are far better than the others. :shrug:

That looks to be their claim. Like someone said above, i too have seen these on some pretty damn fast racecars so there has to be something going on. I'm gonna have to get them and try'em out.

OK.....as taken from the technical comments from Summit Racing....

Accel doesn't list specs for the 5mm wires, but does say that they offer the same internals and performance as their other 300+ Ferro Spiro Race wires....so i looked up their 8.8mm wires, and they say only 150 ohms per foot.

MSD claims that their 8.5 Super Conductor set offers "only 40-50 ohms resistance per foot".

Taylor's Thundervolts claim just 50 ohms per foot, while their 8mm set offers "up to 10 times less than stock".

So it looks like it's either Taylor Thundervolts or MSD with "40-50" whatever the hell that means.

MOst aftermarket wires have similar cores, and the difference in thickness is just the extra silicone for heat resistance, and so noobies can say they picked up a couple hp by switching from 8mm to 11mm:rlaugh:

Maybe that extra HP comes from the power they were losing from one non-firing cylinder whose skinny plug wire had burned through and was shorting out against a header or valve cover...? :D

I don't think anyone ever really lists the diameter of the plug wire CORE, as opposed to the surrounding insulation. I figure it'd work the same as a battery cable - bigger cable will have less Ohms per foot, right? (Hence the reason it's necessary to run 0/1 gauge cable when relocating the battery to the trunk.) You could have 20mm insulated wires for all it mattered, but if they're no different or larger internally, running the same plain ol' copper wire that everyone else does, then the difference means nothing.

If I weren't so worried about heat and short-out issues, I'd be looking into a set of skinny plug wires, too. Being that everything out here tends to dry up and crack and stuff in such a short time, though, I think I'll stick with my cheap-o 8mm Accel Spiral Cores. (They were cheaper than regular OEM-fit aftermarket wires, and they're a pretty blue color ... which adds, what, 10hp? :D )