anyone use a lakewood bell for a 390 toploader?

DCx 98GT

Founding Member
Oct 31, 2001
San Bernardino California
i sourced a big block short input shaft top loader for my dads 390 67 mustang fastback. now what do i do for a bell? as far as i know mustang bells are super hard to find and the tuck units will not work with the shorter input shaft.

David Kee's website states that the bells need to be 6.25 deep to work. he sates truck units are 6.75 deep.
Bellhousing ID Chart
(bottom of id chart)

after looking at the lakewood unit it states its depth is 6.564.

so what all have you done? should i skip the big block trans and get a small block unit with the extended shaft?

• Sponsors (?)

You can make it all work with a Boss 302 pilot bearing/bushing. And if not, although the small block input is smaller, the 390's actually had the smaller diameter input shaft with the short pilot snout and they WILL hold up fine behind a 390, and even with a 427. Been there-done that, so I know of what I speak.

so what all have you done? should i skip the big block trans and get a small block unit with the extended shaft?

Install an aftermarket big block input shaft. They are made in the same 1 3/8" 10 spline diameter as your shaft, but the pilot bearing length is long, like a small block. The extra length allows you to trim the length to match. I got mine from Mark at www.toploaderheaven.com David Kee sells them, as do other toploader parts dealers.

Here is the one that I purchased to beef up my small block toploader (next to a the small block one):

Toploaderbiginputswap063.jpg

Why did my small block car need this? Because 2 consecutive trips to the track with sticky tires resulted in "barber pole" input shafts like this:

Newtwistedinput011.jpg

Remember that it will require the BB clutch disk.

Attachments

• Toploaderbiginputswap063.jpg
    Toploaderbiginputswap063.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Newtwistedinput011.jpg
    Newtwistedinput011.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 123
found a guy local on craigslist that is selling a 69 small block top loader and a 67/68 9" with a fresh 3.50 posi.

i measured the depth of the crank on our 390 and the 1 1/16 shaft should fit fine. thanks for the help guys.

now im on the hunt for a bellhousing.

found a guy local on craigslist that is selling a 69 small block top loader and a 67/68 9" with a fresh 3.50 posi.

i measured the depth of the crank on our 390 and the 1 1/16 shaft should fit fine. thanks for the help guys.

now im on the hunt for a bellhousing.
The longer small block input will fit fine even when used with the shallower big block bell for the FE's. The depth of the pilot shaft bushing hole in the rear of the crank is plenty deep. I used 4 separate small block Toploaders behind both a 390 and later a 427 with the stock FE car bell and never had issues with the depth.