Anyone used the new TTY Bolts?

• Sponsors (?)

"torque to yield"

You torque them to like 55 lbs or so, then a 90 degree turn and you're done. They feel kinda funky 'cause they stretch. They do work fine, just different - and you can only use them once. They don't inspire the confidence of the old stocker 12 points where you turn them to 90 lbs - which give you that "won't blow a headgasket now" feeling.

I follow ProHawk around on the forums saying I don't like'm and he wants to hear from someone else but no one will post. :D

-just go use them, they'll be fine! :nice:

140cilx said:
"torque to yield"

You torque them to like 55 lbs or so, then a 90 degree turn and you're done. They feel kinda funky 'cause they stretch. They do work fine, just different - and you can only use them once. They don't inspire the confidence of the old stocker 12 points where you turn them to 90 lbs - which give you that "won't blow a headgasket now" feeling.

I follow ProHawk around on the forums saying I don't like'm and he wants to hear from someone else but no one will post. :D

-just go use them, they'll be fine! :nice:

Yup Shadow I mean 140Cilx :D

I just got back from my friend machine shop from a weird reason. Anyways heres the scoop on the TTY bolts. They switched to the TTY because these bolts are installed at the 80% tq range and stay in it through out the engine temp. When a metal heats up it exspands and when it cools is shrinks back to org postion. So these TTY bolts move along with it allowing the same clamping force to be apllyed at ever point on the head gasket at all times. Now the standard bolts will not do this since there not elastic enough and are applyed at there full tq range. This means when the motor cools there is spots on the gasket with less clamping force.

I'm sorry 140CILX for making it sound like I'm a dumb or insulting you by not listening to you. That is not my intenstions :cheers: I'm a person who will question the system when it doesn't add up to me and using 20-30 year old head bolts with 100k-300k on them is one of those things. There are times where I follow the crowd, after all I do have a Gillis valve :nice:

I'm sorry 140CILX for making it sound like I'm a dumb or insulting you by not listening to you. That is not my intenstions

I don't think that dude! No worries.

I'm a person who will question the system when it doesn't add up to me and using 20-30 year old head bolts with 100k-300k on them is one of those things.

I wouldn't use 20-30 year old head bolts with 100k-300k on them either. -we're on the same page. :nice:

140cilx said:
I don't think that dude! No worries.

I wouldn't use 20-30 year old head bolts with 100k-300k on them either. -we're on the same page. :nice:

Great :D

If the weather holds out for me I will install that head today. On a side note I will probly just run like 5-10 psi untill I upgrade my fuel system. I'm a little worried my mods may increase my power beyond what the fuel system can handle at stock 15psi. I'll update my site as I go :)

You could do what most of us do, inch up the boost until the first little hint of pre-det and then back it down a touch.

Remember after the first 1/2 hour of running - it's broken in.