Aod automatic transmission

Hello mustang group. Looking for some help here. My trans in missing here and there. I want to drain the trans fluid. I drained it already. Is the first picture the bolt in the middle is that the fill I'm thinking? And can anyone tell me how many quarts it takes to fill that pan. I filled up at least a one gallon jug. But I'd like to be precise. Last question the tank that I drained is that for the torque converter? Is there two separate places you put trans fluid in at? I've never done trans fluid yet so looking for a little help. Thank you guys.
IMG_20240601_200743_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240601_200656_HDR.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That drain plug is not factory. To do a proper transmission service you drop the pan and replace the filter. You can drain the pan first from that drain plug to make it a cleaner job. You fill it through the dipstick tube. With just a drain and filter change you'll need 5-7 quarts of mercon

Reactions: 1 users
The drain plug is a good option AFTER you drop the pan, install a new filter, a refill it with new fluid..
THEN you can come back after a few miles and dump the fluid from the added drain plug ( you can do this more than once) to try and get a more complete fluid flush in an Automatic....

Reactions: 1 user
That first picture appears to be your trans mount and crossmember. The bolt facing the camera is a tailshaft housing bolt, has nothing to do with drain/fill. Your dipstick should be behind the engine on the passenger side and you fill through that. Also, I'm concerned about that drain plug washer. You need a smaller harder washer or a plug that has a shoulder on it, the washer looks like it's being squeezed out and probably won't seal well. You can also drain the torque converter if you're feeling ambitious, remove the bottom front bell housing cover and turn the engine until the drain plug is at the bottom. If you completely drain trans and converter you will need about 12 quarts total. Put fluid in until full on dipstick, start car and run just for a few seconds to fill converter, then shut off and add a couple more quarts. Check your dipstick while running, if it's showing on dipstick but low don't add any fluid until it's fully warmed up. If dipstick is dry add a quart and check again when warm.

You can also drain the torque converter if you're feeling ambitious, remove the bottom front bell housing cover and turn the engine until the drain plug is at the bottom.
I have found torque converter drain plugs to be a real hit and miss deal... Most do NOT have them...