Aod Clicking Sound

The Shemdogg

Mar 15, 2016
san jose CA
Hello! I got my aod rebuilt at the tranny shop the local mustang guy recommended. New tranny runs great but when I start the car theres some major nasty sound and now theres a clicking coming from the trans area. I pulled the inspection plate and the flywheel edges are now worn a little bit but the starter gear looks great. The mustang guy recommended starter shims but in all the cars ive ever worked on i never needed them. Any ideas?

thanks
shem

• Sponsors (?)

On the engine side of the torque converter the is a drain plug that protrudes thru the flex plate. So there is a hole in the flex plate for this and if its not aligned to that hole (IE 90 or 180 degrees off) it will push a portion of the flexplate forward and possibly rub against something (or too far on starter gear). Easy to check and see with inspection cover removed and rotating engine. I made this mistake on my cousins car but found it quickly. I'd check that first. Also make sure you have the correct starter for that flexplate.

I didnt even think of that, good call ill check it out defnintely the right starter and flexplate, been driving it for a cupla years now and everything was fine before the tranny shop. Totally forgot about the tc drain. Thanks!

shem