AOD guys valve body choices

carbed 85 gt

Mar 20, 2003
Honolulu HI
I am looking at getting one of lentechs valvbodies. The ones where OD is on a switch and has the 1,2,D shifting pattern.

I am not sure wether to go with the manual or automatic version. My car is a street car bu I dont like it when it shifts up into drrive as soon as the car start gaining a bit of speed. How bad is the manual one with the fixed line pressure to drive?

• Sponsors (?)

The Lentech is a great choice. I have the full auto one and I love it.

I would probably stay with the auto one for a street car. Hell, I manually shift mine most of the time anyway, but when Im feelin lazy or the wife drives it, its nice to still have the full auto capability.

I could see where the having to shift it all the time could get old on a DD. In a 5spd, you expect it, but in an AOD it might take time to get used to having to upshift and downshift in traffic.

Lentech baby

Lentech all the way. If you want to manually shift all the time go with a T5. I manually shift about 60% of the time. I had my AOD buit locally with all Lentech guts and an edge converter.

Lentech baby

Lentech all the way. If you want to manually shift all the time go with a T5. I manually shift about 60% of the time. I had my AOD buit locally with all Lentech guts and an edge converter.

I'm considering the P.A. auto/man vb...its like 189 in the summit or jegs catalog...holds 1st till shifted, 2nd till shifted, then shifts 3rd to 4th when u go to the od position...has any one ever tried one of these? they're like half the cost of the lentech, an should do all i need in a bolt on street car that sees the track twice a year

I used the PA pn# 53301H, that is the one that allows you to hold 2nd. I had nothing but problems with it not shifting ect and the customer service was the worst ever. Others have had better results with PA, but I wont use them again. I went with the Lentech and couldnt be happier, Cant tell you about Lentechs customer service cause I havent had to use it.

I have had both the PA street/strip and the Lentech Street Terminator valvebodies. The PA is good for a street only car. You still have the 1-d-1-d shift pattern for manual shifting. The Lentech Street Terminator is an excellent street/strip valvebody. You can manually shift with 1-2-3 and electric od or you can leave it d.

It's been a while since I've been AOD, but the Lentechs are not cheap. They are worth it though. You are probably looking between 3 and 400. Go to Lentech's site. They have a price list.

I have the Art Carr manual/auto valve body. Like mentioned above, I also manually shift mine 90% of the time. And on days I want to cruise and drink my coke, I just pop it in drive and don't think about it. Had a friend with the full manual Lentech and wasn't much different than my manual/auto. The major differences are, 1) no TV cable for a full manual VB, and 2) if you forget to down shift at a light, the manual/auto will down shift and start in 1st for you. The full manual won't and puts a strain on the 3rd gear clutches.

one more thing....

Len told me personally that the A servo is absolutely NOT required with his Valve Bodies...this $100 savings made it easier for me to cough up the coin for the v/b.

I did have a problem paying a high core charge and high shipping for his complete tranny, which is why I opted to have mine rebuilt locally with his parts.

For what it is worth, I had transmission problems (total failure) back in May and decided to upgrade to a Lentech unit. I got the Street Crusier trans with the Street Terminator valve body. Best move I made since I put the 3.73 gears in the car. I had 1-2-3 shifts, installed the OD lockout switch and had a ball. When I ordered it, I requested a hard 1-2 shift and medium 2-3 shift. I should have gotten a better torque converter, but didn't think it was necessary. Oh well, next time! Even with the car needing a tune-up, I can chirp the tires in 2nd gear.

I would highly recommend this setup for a street crusier car like mine. I don't do too many stop-light to stop-light races or the 1/4 mile runs, just a daily driver and my daughter's future ride.

I agree completely with the lentech valvebody. nothing else compares. As far as the converter goes I will oddly suggest the edge unit or similar built to use the 1 piece input shaft. being a converter builder I am very familiar with the products edge builds because they are sold by sonnax. The billet front cover is the nicest I have ever seen. Use a 31 spline 1 piece input shaft and have the converter built to use it and you will have an indestructible converter setup. You will also strengthen your transmission tremendously. The PI aod converter is ok I can't say anything bad about it however the front covers are thin and like to balloon. Any converter you buy designed to use stock input shafts will have the same exact problem.
Alan

if u put it in auto where does it shift in each gear at what rpm (when raceing in auto,not manule) im hanycap an can only put the shifter in drive and cant move it while im driveing.....what parts should i get for my aod to make it shift at 6,000-6,500, btw i have a 418w stroker with a XFI 236HR-14, Duration 286-300, Duration @_050 236-248, Lift .579 cam.........?