AOD now in a 78' Mustang

OK HI EVERY ONE,
OK the story is the old 302/5.0L motor sized in my 78' Mustang II. And I swaped in an 84' 302/5.0L and AOD from a Lincon Mark-VII.
Necessary mod's like transmission mount brackets.
But now every thing is in accept the 2" shorter drive shaft.
And you may have guessed it wont start. I have tryed by passing the netural safety start and pluged in the wiring harness of the AOD in to the 78' and still nothing? I would like to be the hero but I usualy need the resceu ?!
I will be thankfull for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

OK sorry for the lack of specifics.
When I found the riht combation to by-pass netural safety start the motor would
turn over but not start. I went back to the donor car and was unable to locate the
computer, it appiers not to have one?

computers are for cars with some type of injector, wether it be a single or multiple.
if the car cranks its not the its not the safety switch..
the only thing it does is stop the starter from cranking while in gear.
it will not disable starting, just cranking..
move on ...
check spark and fuel.. got any??

84 Mark VII would be throttle body injected, and it'll have a computer onboard. It will crank all day, but if the PCM isn't in the car, it's not going to start, assuming you are using the injection setup. If you've changed it to carburated, see above post.

Computers were used in some cars with carburated applications as well, just as an FYI

Computers were used in some cars with carburated applications as well, just as an FYI

Somehow (thankfully) I skipped the whole EC carb and TBI period with Ford. If that period even existed with Ford (Omni/Horizon OTOH ...)

And I'm not curious enough to look.

:shrug:

Damn, just remembered, I have an aluminum TBI (?) intake from an early model, pre EFI Mustang. Looks like a 2bbl will fit, iirc the 2bbl EGR/PVC block should fit (with different studs?).

Got spark? I like pulling the 'Trode from an old plug, creating a test plug, and plugging it into the coil wire and making sure the test plug well grounded.

Keep fuel away from the plug, have a fire extinguisher handy.

OK Thank you every one!
I guess a quick recap might help.
The 302/5.0L in my 78' Mustang II seized. And I replaced it with a newer
302/5.0L & AOD from an 84' Lincon Mark VII, witch appiers to not have a computer
and yes it had a throtle body. The newer motor accepted the 2bbl carb from the 78' just fine. The motor will turn over when the netural safety is by-passed but not start. I have also tryed pluging in the wire harness from the AOD but still next to nothing, the next to nothing in this case is the electric fan turns on and the radio and stuff like that but no turning over or starting of the motor.
I have a felling it is some thing simple, I hope. Thank You Everone.

The Question is ?

Yes fuel is good to go, spark not shure ?
Any way the question I'm thinking of is adjustment of the netural safety start
for the AOD, I as yet have been unable to find a book for the AOD to do this.
And yes I will check for spark. THANK's EVERY ONE.

Neutral safety connecter is in the car, under the dash, near the trans tunnel. One pair is for reverse lamps, the other for the neutral safety. Unplug it and use a jumper wire to make the car crank. The starter won't care if the AOD n/s switch is functional or not.

I'm confused by this talk of plugging in the AOD harness to the '78. The AOD is operated via a TV cable. BTW, you'll burn up the trans without the correct carburated cable/throttle lever and proper adjustment.

If you swapped to the original 2V carb, you should have essentially the same thing you had before, except an OD trans. If you're trying to use the inejcted harness, you'll need to go back to the OE harness, or do some serious rewiring to integrate the later model harness into the car.

If it were me, I'd use the Mark long block/trans, with the original induction/ignition system.

Actually, if it were me, I'd have used the injection.

SUCCESS !

Yes success at last!
And Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.
And guess what it was the disturbtor. So to correct it I removed the disturbtor
and took off the vacume advance to get the clearence needed from the A/C compessor to get the proper location for the distrubtor. And the motor runs fine!
And thanks everyone.

Would really like more info on your project. That is what I am planning to do.
Any problems you have ran into?
How did you mount the fuel pump? does it need a return line?
Keep us posted.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

So ok a little more info

SO OK A LITTLE MORE INFO,
I had alredy retofited a surpentine belt system to the old motor and to get it
working I got a smog pump elemnator since the car did not have one origonaly.
The belt is an 87.3". The brackets came from an 1985 Thunderbird/Mark VII or
something.
Used an aftermarket electric fan for part of the cooling.
As for the fuel pump I used the mechcanical (no return line) and the timeing chain cover from the old motor for the fuel pump.
Also used the oil pan and sump pick up from the old motor had to make my own gasket for that. I used a one peice oil pan gasket for a 95'.
The AOD is 2" longer than the C4, shortned the drive shaft 2".
Used some angle iron to modify the transmission mounts.
Still modifying the exaust more later mabey. See you later

quick question here guys, i have a 1976 mustangii with a very good 302 and c4 tranny. If i wanted to put an AOD tranny in her what are the parts that i would need to do this? will i have to get rid of the headman headers? i will not get rid of the car but i sure would like to use it more on the highway, the C4 at 60 mph turns the motor close to 3 grand, would love to lower that. any help would be great:nice: