Drivetrain AOD quick connect / disconnect fittings

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Evening folks, another newbie question. I have recently found that I'm losing tranny fluid in my 88 GT AOD. Leak seems to be at the quick disconnect fitting and I have a couple of questions. Do I need to replace the QD fitting or is there an alternative? I've done my search to find (and purchase) new fittings or parts to repair them and have not had much luck. So what is option #2 if I cannot find the factory fittings? LMR has an AOD/AOD-E cooler line fitting that says it replaces the QE fitting. Just not sure. Opinions/Insights?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Pics may take a bit to get to but... from what I've read there is a cooling line fitting that requires a special tool to install / remove. This looks similar to what I saw when they put it on the lift. Mostly it was something that looked like the attached (minus the nifty logo) and a lot of sludge. The mechanic told me it was a quick disconnect fitting (maybe my terminology is off. I'm OK with getting standard flared fittings etc. Just as long as it does not leak.

I'd take a closer look and see what the problem is but I believe those quick disconnect lines are known for leaking so I'd change over to the replacements. Just make sure you don't tighten them in to much and crack the transmission case.