• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

AOD rebuild advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter 89LX5.0Vert
  • Start date Start date Aug 3, 2009
8

89LX5.0Vert

New Member
Apr 1, 2007
2
0
1
Aug 3, 2009
#1
  • Aug 3, 2009
  • #1
I've got an 89 LX 5.0 convertible, 114K miles, with an AOD that will need to be rebuilt. I plan on taking the car to a local tranny shop to get rebuilt (anyone know of any good tranny shops near Cranberry Twp, PA, north of Pittsburgh?)

The car is actually my wife's car and is only driven on weekends / sunny days. She drives like a grandma. The car is all stock and will never be raced.

I am looking for opinions for anything I should look out for when getting the tranny rebuilt, as well as any small upgrades I should do. I'd like to improve the shift quality; I'd like the shifts to have a sportier feel but still be smooth. Again, I am not looking for racing-quality shifts, but just something a little better than stock.

Any advice?
 
8

885.0conv

Member
Jan 9, 2008
238
0
16
Phoenix, Az
Aug 3, 2009
#2
  • Aug 3, 2009
  • #2
You could install a transgo shift kit for shifts, fairly inexpensive around 50-80 last time I checked. I don't know how much the shop would charge you. You also might want to upgrade to kelvar bands. Mainly they are for higher hp than stock but couldn't hurt to improve reliability.
 

lincoln+ford

Member
Jul 4, 2009
195
0
16
Aug 3, 2009
#3
  • Aug 3, 2009
  • #3
AOD | AODE Transmission Rebuild Kits by Probuilt Transmissions
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

P
Engine Mysterious coolant leak at back of engine
  • palerider94
  • Jan 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
238
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 19, 2026
AeroCoupe
Engine Suggestions on an engine rebuild. Stock cam/GT40Ps or aftermarket on both for a fun weekend driver?
  • MadSquirrelTech
  • Apr 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
MadSquirrelTech
9
Engine Donor '00 Mountaineer meet '91 Fox
  • 91firecracker
  • May 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
41
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 28, 2026
91firecracker
9
Electrical 88 EEC Injectors batch firing ?
  • Dustin 86GT
  • Dec 8, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
550
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 8, 2026
gkomo
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
356
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?