AOD Shifter Cable Adjustment

89MustangGX

I have nothing productive to add!
Jul 3, 2001
Mill Creek, WA
After mostly installing a B&M Hammer shifter in my car (seems like a really nice shifter so far) it came time to adjust the cable. Now the Hammer directions differ from OEM in that they state to adjust the cable in neutral, while OEM states to adjust it in OD.

Now I did as the instructions said, put it in neutral, shifter in neutral, pull slack out of cable, tighten, etc. I tried it and it seems to work fine, but has left me wondering about it.

How do you know if it's really in the 'right' spot for the tranny in 1st gear, for example, when you adjust it in neutral or OD? It held 1st gear, but I have no way of knowing if it's all the way in or barely in, etc.

Or is it just one of those things that either works or doesn't? I don't want to burn up the tranny or anything, and I'd like to know that I have it done right. It isn't harder to shift into 1st than other gears if that means anything.

Seems ok to me, but I'm looking for a little insight here. Any thoughts or ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Put the car in first, then detach the cable at the trans. Then grab the linkage arm and move it fore and aft slightly to see if it is sitting in the detent. Try this for each spot on the detent. Park will be the least noticeable as it is the most forgiving in order to get the pawl to engage.