AOD swap questions-wiring and flexplate

coupe5.0

Founding Member
Oct 31, 2000
Just picked up an aod setup out of fox car. It came with the short harness for the backup lights and Neutral safety. Does anyone have the color codes figured out so i can splice it onto my 68 trans harness??

I also go a good 50 ounce flexplate with it, would it be feasable to have the weight drilled to the old 28 ounce unbalance or should i just get a new one?

And finally, everyone says to get the lokar cable for the tv, will i still need an adapter for my holley carb or does it come with one.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the lokar cable does not come with an adapter.

as for the wiring:

classi1.gif

Attachments

• classi1.gif
    classi1.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 101
just spend the 50 bucks or so and get a new balancer, one for a 69 stang with 351w with and fmx should work just fine. it has to be the 164 tooth 28oz balance flexplate. you should be able to get one at the local o'reilly, advance, auto zone, etc.

adapters, yes they do make things ez.
(1) lokar cable
(2) lokar throttle/aod cable bracket (holds carb end of aod cable, and throttle cable if you use a lokar one)
(3) throttle blade adapter for holley (relocates tv pin on throttle blade)
good luck.

on my holley the stroke of the tv pin did not match the trans lever. at wot the carb linkage would pull ~3/8in (slack at the carb) more than the trans would give. the corrector plate makes it 1:1 at wot.

if the cable isnt pulled as soon as the throttle is moved there is not enough pressure in the trans to engage the clutches properly = smoked tranny.

on the tv correction issue... it is my understanding the tv cable needs to mount directly below the throttle shaft, roughly 1 1/8 inch away. the corrector from summit mounted the cable at about 4:30 (if the throttle shaft were center of the clock) and 3/4 inch away... not even close. my holley just happens to have a quarter inch hole in the throttle arm in the very place it needs to be so... i used it!
also, with the corrector in place, the cable didnt even pull up any slack until the throttle was almost 1/4 of the way open, not good...