aod to t5 swap question..new guy-help

timman460

Nov 8, 2005
Hi,
I am currently converting an 88 lx 5.0 automatic to manual. The swap has gone pretty smooth so far but I am having trouble installing the transmission. When lifted up and put into the bellhousing, the transmission will not go fully in. It comes very close, about a 1/2'' to 1''. Once there it will not go any further. I have removed and retried several times. I used an alignment tool for the clutch disc when installing the pressure plate and even reinstalled the pressure plate. It does not seem to be the splines on the input shaft not meshing with the clutch disc as i can still spin the shaft freely from the driveshaft end of the tranny. Should I use the 4 tranny bolts to drive the trany in the bellhousing the small ditance or should I install the tranny and bellhousing already attached and try to lug it on the motor? Or am I doing something wrong that anyone knows of? Thanks for any help guys.
- Tim

• Sponsors (?)

I've had that problem, and no matter what I did, it wouldn't go. I made sure the input shaft was going into the pilot bearing fine, and it was, so I just pulled it in with the trans bolts. Never gave me a problem that way, but you have to be careful of anything binding up. Sounds like you have a good handle on it, you're gonna love having a stick! :nice:

put it in gear that way you can turn the imput shaft from the rear. I just usually rock the trans side to side a little and it pops right in every time w/ the bellhousing attached to the trans.