AOD-to-T5 swap. Wiring question.

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
COncerning the wiring on the transmission. There is the pigtail on the top for the reverse lights. Will this plug directly to my body harness?

And for the small switch on the side (NSS i beleive) i just have the black switch and two prongs. DO i need a wiring harness for this as well or will i need to get one from a T-5 car?

• Sponsors (?)

Grats on the conversion...you will love it.

The aod harness under the car has 4 "prongs" 2 for the reverse lights, and 2 for the parked indicator switch. The car needs to be in PARK on an AOD to start (or maybe neutral too) either way, you will need a T5 harness to do a plug and play. I think it sounds like you have the T5 harness...it will plug right into where the AOD one was.

If you don't have a T5 harness, you can pull the harness of the aod, cut off the trans side connectors and fabricate some connector that will hook up to the reverse light pigtails. For the Park indicator, just connect those 2 wires together. On the T5 harness it is jumpered.

Ah, that's the reverse switch connection. That is the only thing that needs connecting. Is this what you have? :

09t.jpg

Hmm, not sure, too small of a picture.

Ok, let me lay it out. I do not have any separate wiring. I'm trying to determine if i need any. I have the T-5 tranny. On the driver's side, there are two connectors. One is located at the top front of the tranny and has a pigtail about 1 foot long coming off it. The end of the pigtail has a two-prong connector.

Just below it about centered on the side of the tranny same side is a black connector with two metal prongs sticking out. I have no wiring for this.

So, what are these two things and do i need any additional wiring?

Main reason i'm trying to figure this out is because i need as little down time as possible with this swap so i need to make sure i have every last nut and bolt all laid out ahead of time if ya know what i mean

The two prongs on the side are for your reverse lights. They don't really have to be connected, if you don't want. The wiring up front is the neutral safety switch. It keeps the starter from engaging when the car is in gear. BUT, the more important one is the one on the clutch pedal. Without it, your car WILL NOT start. I connected that from the main wiring harness in my car, and didn't worry about the nuetral safety switch, and my car was a 4 cylinder/auto, and now is a V8/T56. Hope that helps.

From what i remember, you should be able to get a factory wiring hook up for the back up lights that plugs into the chassis harness. As for the nuetral safety switch, I think you re gonna have to break out the soldering gun for that, at least I did

Ok here's what I did. I did not have the harness either. The car would not start when I finished the install, so I climbed under the car, reconnected the aod harness to the car, cut off the trans-side plug, stripped the 4 wires there, and through trial and error figured out which ones were for the parking safety switch and which were for the back up lights. I hotwired the safety switch ones, and left the back up lights unconnected. The car runs great, but no back up lights. That was 2 months ago. I have since ebayed a T5 harness but have yet to install it.
When I got my T5 from the junkyard, it was sans ANY wiring/pigtails. I believe the lower one is the back up lights, and the higher one you are referring to MAY be the speed sensor? I wish I had the trans in front of me to see. If it's not the speed sensor, than I think its the T5 diagnostic hook up...which you don't have since you are using the aod puter. Hope this helps....bottom line you DON"T need any wiring to get the car started and running. GL!!

I just fell into a 91 mustang Gt bad tranny, I have a new C4 I am putting into the car only problem I need wiring diagram so I can get back up lights to work and the NSS to work????Help:(