Drivetrain AOD Transmission rebuild questions

1991 AOD

I'm having my transmission rebuilt and the had some odd comments when I told him what I wanted to do. I wanted to bounce it off of you guys to get your thoughts.

I asked for him to update the OD band and he said it was going to take an extra $400 as he has to swap out a bunch of parts from a 4rw70 to make that OD band fit. Does that sound right?

Also, I asked him to install a V6 converter (2200 stall) so I could get a slightly higher stall, this is dd so I only wanted a slight increase. He said the converter is paired with the cam and that this stall wouldn't work with a stock 5.0. He said he also never heard of anyone using a V6 converter.

I thought the stock stall was set pretty low on the power curve for a stock 5.0 , and the slight bump to a 2200 rpm stall shouldn't be a problem, seeing as the mark viii had 2500 stall if I remember correctly.

Thoughts?

Bruno

• Sponsors (?)

@Chuckman seems like he know a little about upgrading the aod, he talked about it in another post about trans upgrades, it was several years ago, depending on the communication device you have you can scroll down and there will be 'Similar threads' and sometimes you find the answer but if you're like me you just go off in left field.
i'm easily led astray.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the 2" band upgrade when I DIY rebuilt my aod. Look through this thread and you'll find what I learned. There's other works going on in there too. Sorry that you have to sift through it to find the AOD stuff. Post #61 in the thread is hitting on what you want to know for sure.

You need the 2" reverse drum with mechanical sprag, and a 36 tooth sun gear shell, both from AODE. With these, the remainder of the AOD parts stay.

Other option is a 2" reverse drum with a 38 tooth sun gear shell, and gear sets from the 4r70w.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/out-with-the-new-in-with-the-old.899295/page-4

Here are the parts I put in, and I remained with the AOD ratios.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=112519394276

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=272161492707

You can't just stick a 2" wide band on the stock drum. It's wider than the drum is, so you don't really get full use of all 2". In order to properly do it, you've got to swap the reverse drum and matching piston with one from an AODE. Then, once that's done, the stock AOD input shell won't quite fit it, so you've got to change that too, one from also an AODE, and they're getting scarce (I think 94-95 were the correct ones as I recall). Now that the 2" wide band works with the correct drum and shell, the servo has to be addressed...most performance builds will use an aftermarket A++ servo which solves the factory issues.

I upgraded my servo too.

Even with me doing all the labor, the reverse drum, sun gear shell, 2" band, servo upgrade, inexpensive stock style converter, basic rebuild kit, a few special tools

It added up to over $700, parts alone

So when the dude said upgrading an AOD to 2" band was going to cost an extra $400, he is not far off the mark.

1991 AOD

I'm having my transmission rebuilt and the had some odd comments when I told him what I wanted to do. I wanted to bounce it off of you guys to get your thoughts.

I asked for him to update the OD band and he said it was going to take an extra $400 as he has to swap out a bunch of parts from a 4rw70 to make that OD band fit. Does that sound right?

Also, I asked him to install a V6 converter (2200 stall) so I could get a slightly higher stall, this is dd so I only wanted a slight increase. He said the converter is paired with the cam and that this stall wouldn't work with a stock 5.0. He said he also never heard of anyone using a V6 converter.

I thought the stock stall was set pretty low on the power curve for a stock 5.0 , and the slight bump to a 2200 rpm stall shouldn't be a problem, seeing as the mark viii had 2500 stall if I remember correctly.

Thoughts?

Bruno
see the above posts about the od band. total project size depends on your existing internals (either 90 or 91 was the transition year from the weaker cast steel drums to the better stamped ones). if you have the early stuff, theres more to change to be able to run the wider band, and less to change with the later stuff. either way the money would probably be better spent buying a 4r70w core and swapping all the internals into your aod basically with the exception of the input/output shafts and electronics if youre doing a serious build. otherwise an upgraded servo, input shaft(s), clutches, and shift kit/valvebody can take you pretty far.

for the converter, afaik there is no "v6" aod converter, they should be all the same as they were pretty much only behind 302's, maybe a 300 or 351 in a truck (they usually got the e4od though). its the aode/4r70w converters that have some variation (more applications), and they are not compatible with the aod. that said, there are aftermarket units, both off the shelf and custom, that can work well depending on your budget.

for a deep dive into everything aod/aode/4r70w check out http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forum.php?

Reactions: 1 users