AOD TV cable issues

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
ok so ive had an ongoing battle with the tv cable on my aod. some days its shift right, some days it shifts sloppy. sometimes it kicks down and sometimes not. so, in an attempt to get this thing solved. i used this webpage AOD ADJUST well when i did this, i got my throttle pedal back, and it became soft again. BUT the trans wouldnt shift into OD. i followed the rules to it, and i have the block style btw. so it shifted like crap, wouldnt go into OD and had absolutely no kickdown. ok, i also noticed that on the cable, the inner most part the actual steel cable, well theres like 1/4" of it sticking out at the very end of the rod. this is with teh block ALL THE WAY to the back of the rail. ive been using zip ties for the last few days to take up the slack so i wouldnt burn up OD.

when i had my stock tb it used to not be like that at all, there was never any slack in the line. is it possible that the bracket is loose down on the trans and is allowing the cable to get alot of slack. im just throwing out ideas here guys. this is driving me insane becasue every few weeks there has been a little more slack in it. what could be the problem???? thanks for any help

Bart

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have any help for you, but I wanna follow this thread. I have seen the page you are talking about on how to adjust the cable, and I have also read that the only way to adjust it is with a pressure gauge. I have no idea which is the right way. Was your gas pedal really stiff? Mine has always been really stiff and hard to push down. It looks as though my cable is adjusted all of the way as tight as it will go. My tranny shifts fine , but the super stiff accelerator cable has always bugged me. The TV cable is the one thing on my car I am completely scared to try to work on LOL.

yeah definately, the pedal is super stiff. my gf absolutely hates to drive it because she says it hurts her leg. it doesnt hurt mine, it just gets old real quick.

i was askin about this to some other guys earlier and one mentioned putting it in d when i adjusted it.......am i supposed to do that...i mean i cant see it making a difference. but...just asking.

Somethings not right. AOD's are not to be messed with if you don't know what's going on. You can/could burn something up in the trans. if this cable isn't adjusted properly. Only a couple of miles can do it.
I suggest taking the car to a mechanic and having them look at it. Better at spending $50-$75, than having a burned up trans. $$$$
That website you posted does help getting the cable close, but like "The shape" suggested, the accurate way is to use a pressure gauge, and any competent mechanic will know how to use one.
JMO

well ive followed the rule of keeping it high, if just "guessing". i understand the way it works, im just wondering why it will change, im thinking maybe the block is actually moving down the rail...as in the teeth on it are worn.

i can check the psi, but i dont know where the port is for on it. i know its on the pass side, but where. i have limited sight under there, just a proximity would be ok, i should be able to find it.