Aod with 3.73 rear gears, question on engine rpm

StreetDreamsGT

Mar 6, 2003
New Jersey
I've never had a car with rear gears before so this is new to me. When I take it on the parkway in D I get up to around 65mph and my rpms are up around 3500. I can't put it into OD because the OD band is almost completely shot. I'm afraid to go above 65 mph because i'm so damn close to the redline..... what's the deal? Is it normally like this when you have rear gears and an AOD?

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm never going to be able to hit 100 mph again? I figure the trans has more to do with this issue than the rear gearing, although... when I start driving on the parkway the rear gears start whirring loud as anything! I'm guessing my trans and rear are in need of a ressurection....

Haha, get your trans fixed, man. The whole idea behind OD is so that you can cruise at high speeds without winding up the motor. Get your car running right, and you'll love the gears.

If the gears are wining a LOT, you might have too much backlash in them or they otherwise just weren't installed right. If they are new, make sure to break them in properly.

Haha, get your trans fixed, man. The whole idea behind OD is so that you can cruise at high speeds without winding up the motor. Get your car running right, and you'll love the gears.

If the gears are wining a LOT, you might have too much backlash in them or they otherwise just weren't installed right. If they are new, make sure to break them in properly.

Trust me I will lol, I'm just saving up to buy a good aod new with a warranty n everything, but the only way i'll be able to drive at higher speeds is in od?

Trust me I will lol, I'm just saving up to buy a good aod new with a warranty n everything, but the only way i'll be able to drive at higher speeds is in od?

Either that or rev the hell out of the motor. Realize that you'll be burning a lot of fuel and sound like a jackass screaming around town at 4K rpm. :p

If you're going for a new trans, I recommend at least getting a mildly built one. Stock AODs do you no favors in terms of performance. You could get a new torque converter with a stall rpm better suited for the shorter rear end gears, while you're in there.

Or just convert to a T5 and be happy. :nice:

Anything I've read and anyone I've talked to says you should talk directly with the torque converter manufacturer or supplier to determine the best one for your combination. There are just too many factors that goes into it, and there are a lot if different options out there.

I'd suggest ordering it from Summit and talking to their tech support about your options. They have a very good tech crew and I bet they could guide you in the right direction.

Check out this link:

The Right Stall: Tips On Selecting Torque Converters - SummitRacing.com

Anything I've read and anyone I've talked to says you should talk directly with the torque converter manufacturer or supplier to determine the best one for your combination. There are just too many factors that goes into it, and there are a lot if different options out there.

I'd suggest ordering it from Summit and talking to their tech support about your options. They have a very good tech crew and I bet they could guide you in the right direction.

Check out this link:

The Right Stall: Tips On Selecting Torque Converters - SummitRacing.com

Actually I saw an ad in a Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords mag, offering a built AOD with a high stall torque converter... I figure that's the best thing to do because then all they need is the info about how your car is set up, they already know what to account for in the trans.