AOD won't come out

Baaah

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2001
West Springfield, MA
I'm in the middle of an AOD to t-5 swap and i can't get the stupid AOD to separate from the block. I have all 6 bellhousing bolts removed, crossmember bolts unbolted, starter unbolted, all 4 torque converter bolts removed and the wires and speedo cable disconnected. I've tried hitting it, pushing it, pulling it, raising it, lowering it(all these did was raise and lower the engine as well) prying at it, yelling at it, asking it politely then hitting it when its guard was down, and everything else i can think of. Are there any tips to getting this thing out. I never drained the torque converter because it didnt seem necessary. Should I do this and will it make a difference?

• Sponsors (?)

Draining the converter will not help it come out easier, but will sure make for a cleaner shop floor. If you dont drain it, you will get about 6-8 quarts of trans fluid come out if that trans shaft slips out of the converter more than a inch or two. I would also plug the 2 fittings on the right side of the trans. I drained ALL of my fluids out side so I made sure I didnt make a mess in the garage (its a 2 car garage in the basment) All went well, till the trans slipped off the jack some, and fluid came gushing out of the 2 fittings.

Try blocking the rear of the engine with a small jack and 2x6 under the pan, so it will not drop down, then work the trans up and down. They can be tough some times.

the only thing that can hold you up from there are corroded alignment studs (these can be pounded out with a hammer and punch in most applications, cant bring to mind if aod holes go all the way through ) if all else fails use a come along from the tail shaft to the rear end, had to do that before

Mine was stuck like a snake in a hole. Pulled the snot out of it. All I could do is 1/4 gap. I said WTH and grabbe a pry bar. Leverage is a wonerful thing. Ditto on draining, my converter slipped and holly crap, fluid everywhere! Good luck.

i've been pulling the crap out of it and i still have 0 gap, so i think im gonna move on to the hammer+screwdriver method and try to wedge the sucker in there and give myself a gap big enough for a prybar or a chisel.