AODE guys... question for you.

mystang94gt

Jun 14, 2004
Bay Area, CA
Well mine shifts into OD when I am at WOT. I used to do it before I got on here and read how bad it is for the tranny and that OD could break so I stopped doing it. And when I need to pass someone I dont turn OD off with the button. I just give it enough gas to where it downshifts to third on its own, then when Im ready to cruise again I left off the gas and it will shift back into OD.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys.....

Quick question that seems to puzzle many mechanics in the area. If you are at WOT will your car shift into O/D? I've been told too many times lately that Ford trannys won't shift into O/D at WOT. :shrug:

Mine will at 5,000 rpm. So if I'm going to pass someone I kick it out of O/D and not turn it back on until I'm around them and off the throttle.

Is the because of mods, or are these mechanics just wrong?

the aode will shift in and out of OD on it's own. the only time it won't is when you're manually shifting, but at any other time, it will. like mystang said, it will hurt your tranny if you downshift manually, but i don't think it'll hurt it as much since we have a shift kit.

ive always heard its bad, but ive let the car shift into O/D plenty of times, and it seems to hold just fine.

Maybe mine was rebuilt before i bought the car? i dunno, but it seems to be strong for a stock tranny/convertor.

Ocasionally after a 1-2-3-4 blast, when i let off, itl shift back into 3rd on its own, then pop back into 4th.. maybe o/d is going?

Yeah that doesnt make sense to me either. If it wouldnt do it on its own why to people warn you not to do it? Doesnt make any sense. I think they must be mistaken. Maybe it is the AOD they are thinking of. :shrug:

Um ok second time in a row mine showed up ABOVE yours..

Huh? He didn't say it hurts to shift manually, it hurts it to let it shift INTO O/D at WOT. I can show you pics of what that'll do. I have the shreaded bands in my garage. The rivets are almost gone and the car would only hold 2,000 rpms in O/D or rev up. :nonono:

Maybe you guys don't pass like I do... out here in the hills around Branson, MO if you are going to pass someone, you best be getting your arse around them quick. I hit 110mph 80% of the time I pass people. Which is above 5,000 rpms in 3rd with 3.73 gears. So I HAVE to turn off O/D, or not pass, or fry O/D. Because of all the converter screw ups, I was able to drive the car like I always do for several months and then had to have it cleaned out, he checked the O/D band and said it showed no wear yet and looked great.

But that wasn't my question.... my question was why do some many damn people tell me that my tranny is screwed up or I have a loose screw in my head thinking the car will shift on it's own when Ford made them so they won't. :shrug: Is the AOD tranny that way?

SN95StangMan said:
I try not to, but I have shifted INTO o/d at WOT. I dont know why these people are telling you that it won't. :scratch:

Yeah it's weird. I've actually been looked at like I was lieing about it. :rolleyes: The only way I can think to prove it is to take them for a ride, but then that's hard on my tranny. :nonono: Plus they'll just come back and say that it's modified that's why it does it. :notnice:

So I thought I would see if I was crazy or not. :D