AODE to TKO 600 Swap..Maybe?

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Was considering ditching the granny AODE and putting in a TKO 600 to get ready for the future engine. I know I can find info for what I need, so the main reason for this post is:

1. Any caveats (precautions) before getting started and during the swap?

2. Success/opinions from those who have done it.

3. Are any parts from the AODE resellable:

Cooler
Shift Kit
PI Stallion Converter, etc.?

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

im all for 5/6 speeds :nice: the swap is pretty straight forward

flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, transmission. IIRC the crossmember needs to be modified for the t56 but not the TKO

youll also need to swap in some 94/95 5 speed pedals (the hydraboost from the 96+ was slightly different) if you take the 10 extra mins to pull the drivers seat it will make removing/installing the pedals sooooo much easier. also its a good time to put the ford racing bullitt covers on the pedals before you install them in the car

im sure all that stuff can be resold from the AODE

only thing to consider since you posted about back surgery is that these clutches are very heavy and if your in stop and go traffic a lot i dunno if that would bother your back or not.

Thanks for the replies....Urban: I know about the 'extra work' but that only reason Im considering this is that this is not my daily driver anymore, and I have access to a fairly new TKO AND long tubes, which I cant use in the AODE. I will be able to have all the parts fairly easily..

Thanks..Ill shoot the guy at Corral a PM>

RC

I went to the 3550 from the AODE, and all went pretty smooth for myself. the only thing I had to do was get shorter bolts for the bellhousing to the block because I got a lakewood and it was much thinner than the stock set up. All dropped into the factory cross member just fine as well and was not modified in any way. Don't forget to the manual trans. harness as well. Urban hit the nail on the head pretty good though.

I went to the 3550 from the AODE, and all went pretty smooth for myself. the only thing I had to do was get shorter bolts for the bellhousing to the block because I got a lakewood and it was much thinner than the stock set up. All dropped into the factory cross member just fine as well and was not modified in any way. Don't forget to the manual trans. harness as well. Urban hit the nail on the head pretty good though.

Thanks for the reply...I see your in Central Fl...How about taking a ride down south a little and helping me with mine! :D

RC