Fox Approach to getting AC back working

adk

Nov 18, 2022
Illinois
I have a '90 that has been off the road for a number of years. What route have those who have chosen to keep your AC operational taken? Upgrade just the fittings to accommodate R134, buy the whole conversion kit from LMR, try to recharge with R12 cans from eBay, other methods?

• Sponsors (?)

It is intact and closed. When I turn on the AC the compressor repeatedly engages for about 2 seconds, then disengages for about 2 seconds before reengaging for 2 seconds. Searching the Internet it appears this is a symptom of a system low on refrigerant. I would be interested on approaches that have worked well for others (attempt to find/add R12, convert fittings to R134 and recharge with R134, other ideas that worked for you).

Last edited:
They are no longer available as of this year. Ebay isn't allowing R12 Freon to be sold there anymore.... they remove any listings and are blocking all sales. Unfortunately.

They still sneak in there. Buy it before I add more to my stockpile.

It is intact and closed. When I turn on the AC the compressor repeatedly engages for about 2 seconds, then disengages for about 2 seconds before reengaging for 2 seconds. Searching the Internet it appears this is a symptom of a system low on refrigerant. I would be interested on approaches that have worked well for others (attempt to find/add R12, convert fittings to R134 and recharge with R134, other ideas that worked for you).

Sounds like it is low. Are you 100% sure it’s still filled with R12? If the compressor is still engaging it’s probably half filled. You’d need at least 2 cans of eBay R12. About $40 or so a can.

If you don’t go that route, flush the entire system with solvent and start from scratch. Replace the orifice tube, replace the condenser (modern units are superior to the old serpentine style) and use R12 /r134 compatible oil and charge with R134a

My system was a from-scratch system and I used R12. In hindsight, I should have sold off my supply and gone R134a

No shop will touch the system if there is R12 in it. All their equipment is 134a or 1234 and they won’t cross contaminate. I doubt you’ll find someone with an R12 recovery machine but there are creative ways to discharge it into a vacuum recovery tank.

Reactions: 1 user
I use ES12a it is comparable with r12/134a. And can be introduced without vaccum. You will need to use 134a valve adapters though.
I've run it for years in my daily driven fox, and I l ive on the surface of the sun(nevada) up to 118 in summertime. Do your research you'll be pleased.

Someone grabbed it. Hopefully someone here. That price is par for the course for R12. $40/can or so.

I have this plus some cans...so i'm good for a while. :)
0EC994DB-84B9-4E54-9EE6-AA5BE5E3055B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I threw a bid on that (not winning) just to see if that thing gets pulled before the 9-day auction is up. I think it will.

BIN seems to be the best way to get them.

A few years back, sellers were asking for copies of the license. Then they started asking for a waiver saying you were buying the cans to hand to a tech. Last few years its been a free-for-all and no license or waiver. Probably why they are pulling auctions.

You can find R12 locally just about everywhere these days as the demand is gone
I just bought another 30 lb cylinder for 300 bucks
Yours just needs a squirt adk
Find a can in your area and add some until the pressure is about 30 lbs on the low side and you should be good