Appropriate Front End Alignment Specs for 99 GT?

• Sponsors (?)

Stock specs will do.

In fact, it's difficult to find a shop that will align to the specs you give them. Most won't due to liability. They go by what the computer says is the spec.

Wheel size has no effect.

It would make sense to hold off on installing the C/C plates not until you install the springs and lower the car. Seeing as you are aligning back to stock specs, there's no benefit to installing the plates now. When you put the springs in, you'll need to realign the car again so just makes sense to do C/C plates and springs at the same time and only pay for one alignment.

Well my only issue is that because I'm still using the stock setup where I have gotten it aligned they usually can't get the camber or caster within specs (not sure which) and they won't drill the stock holes more to adjust so was gonna put the CC plates on now so I can adjust. The outer lip of my tires is wearing bad currently.

Ahh...well in that case the C/C plates will allow you more range, but you should still be able to properly align a stock suspension Mustang. You shouldn't need to drill holes to do so either. ANy chance the vehicle was in a front end collision? Worn suspension components like worn-balljoints and LCA inner bushings can allow enough movement in the suspension that may also prevent proper alignment.

One other thing. If the camber is off, the lower strut mount hole on the bottom where it connects to the spindle is slotted slightly. If you loosen up te two holes, you can push or pull the strut body in and out putting more or less angle on the spindle which can give you up to 1* of range for camber. Pushing the body in will add camber, and pulling it out will reduce the camber angle. You will need an alignment after this adjustment.

Got you, it hasn't been in an accident that I know of. There's none reported and there's no sign of a collision. But I'm military so will probably have to use the alignment machine on base if I can't get an appointment today, but it doesn't have 99 mustang gt alignment specs for some reason, only the cobra. Would you happen to have the numbers on hand in case I have to just give them the numbers?

I did MM C/C plates on my 2002 and had my shop go for a higher (more positive) Caster setting of +4.5. I have seen others who have gone far higher than that, but I figured going just out of spec would be a good first shot. I think on the next alignment I'd go up to 5 or 5.5, my shop was happy to oblige. It shows red on the sheet because it is out of Ford spec. I felt like the steering was more stable with the added Caster and turns in nicely.

I stayed pretty tame in Camber at -1. Also, my car is stock height for now.

Maximum Motorsports instructions for the 99-04 CC plates have a table with the Ford preferred setting and allowable range on page 5 step 33:

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_211856.jpg
    IMG_20210125_211856.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 217
Yeah I finally got them on no problem. But I kid you not I have paid for 2 alignments now where all they've done is change my toe and give me a readout of caster and camber. How the hell do I find someone who will actually adjust them? Also there's an alignment rack in my Base's auto center. How exactly do you adjust them yourself? I tried to get it in spec but I can't move the plates with the weight of the wheels on them. How is it done lol

I just point blank asked the guy at my shop before I brought it in if they would set it to what I asked, also mentioned that I was installing CC plates. Maybe call a few shops and ask?

I've never done an alignment myself, other than trying to put it to a nominal setting after installing a part so that I could limp it to the shop. I'd agree, you'd definitely need some weight off to budge the strut.

If you have access to the rack on base, is there someone you can ask who knows how to use it? I'd bet they'd be willing to show you for the price of a few good beers. :cheers:.

I'll just try to call around then. But yeah haha I've tried that. The instructors/employees there pretty much do it for you but they haven't ever gotten it even close to what I want. Also you can't really get anyone else to help/show you. Got new springs and shocks going on so I'll probably just make an apt for next week since I'd have to align it again anyways.