Suspension Are Torque Box Reinforcements Necessary For An Sn95?

WhiteCobra95

Mod Dude
May 2, 2006
I've been helping a friend do a 351 conversion on his 1994 SN95 for some time now, as his budget permits, and have a basic SN95 question to ask.

He's got the entire rear end disassembled for an axle rebuild and 3.27 gear install, when the question came up regarding torque box reinforcements. Is this a good upgrade for an SN95 or is that more of a Fox Body thing? If it is a good idea, now is the time while it's all apart and accessible. The car already has MM SFCs welded in.

The 351 isn't a monster by any means (iron GT40 heads / lightning intake), but he is planning to go with a better HCI once the rest of the car is done and ready for it. He will be drag racing it for fun on drag radials a couple times each year. Also, it's a convertible if that makes any difference.

Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

As your friend plans on drag-racing, with future power upgrades (slicks aren't that far behind the drag radials), reinforcements can't hurt. Though the area on SN95's is significantly stronger than the Fox, it's still a weak point comparatively. With the rear removed, and the interior out, it's pretty much the best time to do so. Expense-wise it's a drop in the bucket so why not?

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. They aren't expensive, and not a whole lot of work. If the car has ABS, it is a hassle to reroute or drill a new hole for the speed sensor wires. The problem with torque box reinforcements is that if you wait to see if you need them, the torque boxes are usually too messed up to reinforce.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a million for the feedback! You guys are always very helpful on these details, and I sincerely appreciate your expertise.

I agree, it's much easier to do this now while it's all apart, and waiting until you've trashed the original sheet metal with drag launches is penny-wise / dollar-foolish.

One hiccup; reading the descriptions on LMR's site makes it sound like convertibles are a bit more of a headache for this installation. If he decides to take the plunge and all goes well getting these in on a convertible, maybe I'll do the same thing on my car (coupe with a laundry list of upgrades waiting).

I'm assuming that if you don't weld them in, it's probably not worth doing? ...similar to subframe connectors?

Welding them in is best, but they're still helpful in stiffening up the boxes, especially the lowers.

Definitely worth doing, welding the plates does make it even stronger.

Don't buy them from LMR. Go to the originals and best at wildrides.com. It makes absolutely no difference if you weld them in or bolt them in. Wild Rides will back that up.

Kurt