Are vege 2fx1 heads gt40's???

Chasel123

Aug 21, 2019
Washington
I just bought a 302 out of an 80's truck and I plan on more than just a mild build but also wanna save money where I can. I learned about gt40 and gt40p heads and I fell in love and wanna do that instead of the much more expensive route of aluminum heads. But I'm new to the 302 world so I don't wanna mess up. I looked up gt40 heads for sale and summit popped up with the vege and they are a super good price I just wanna know are those actually gt40's or just as good as gt40's I see that they have the three stripes on the side like gt40's do

• Sponsors (?)

How so? Can you go in depth? The only difference I've seen from research is the gt40p has a smaller exhaust valve a smaller combustion chamber and a more very straight angle for sparkplugs making headers harder
They do make spark plugs a bit harder. We just needed to change out the boots on some of ours. It wasn't a massive problem. As far as going in depth, I can't really provide you with that. There are articles out there on them, however. All I can tell you is that at the end of the day, we came to the conclusion that we needed GT40Ps instead of GT40s.

They do make spark plugs a bit harder. We just needed to change out the boots on some of ours. It wasn't a massive problem. As far as going in depth, I can't really provide you with that. There are articles out there on them, however. All I can tell you is that at the end of the day, we came to the conclusion that we needed GT40Ps instead of GT40s.
Okay that's awesome though. I am trying to look up both gt40 and gt40p heads on Google and when I do these vege 2fx1 pop up they have the three hash marks like a gt40 but nothing about them says gt40 I'm trying to find out if they are in fact a gt40 head. Summit is selling them. Would you know?

These are rebuilt gt40 heads according to the website. Did not list spring specs that I found. These type of heads where found on lightning trucks and cobras, I think also 5.0 explorers had them but those needed a spring upgrade. If you need heads they look like a good value for a very mild build.
This is just my opinion and no way based on actual mechanical experience.
Use at your own risk.

These are rebuilt gt40 heads according to the website. Did not list spring specs that I found. These type of heads where found on lightning trucks and cobras, I think also 5.0 explorers had them but those needed a spring upgrade. If you need heads they look like a good value for a very mild build.
This is just my opinion and no way based on actual mechanical experience.
Use at your own risk.
Very helpful thank you so much actually, I'm going for about 400 to the wheels. And from what I've read these heads will help me get there over the stock ones!

Very helpful thank you so much actually, I'm going for about 400 to the wheels. And from what I've read these heads will help me get there over the stock ones!
While these heads will get you higher than stock (by about 40 horsepower) they will not get you to 400 wheel horsepower. I'd be shocked to see it happen without boost. Without a doubt, you will need some really good aluminum heads, a custom ground cam, fancy intake, etc. It would be tough to make 350 at the CRANK with iron heads without boost. I have GT40Ps, edelbrock Performer intake, B303 cam, 1.72 rockers, full exhaust, big carb, and I am making around 320 crank.
AFR 165 heads or 11R heads will probably be the way to go. Making 400 horsepower N/A with one of these motors will not be cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with what's been said above, you are not going to be able to attain 400 RWHP with GT40 heads on a 302 based engine without boost. 400 RWHP is close to 450-460 crank horsepower. If you're truly looking for 400 RWHP N/A, you're going to have to look at something like a built 347 stroker with some good flowing aluminum heads and a matched combo.

I didn't want to burst his bubble.
i think the bucks down way to get close to that hp would be a crate engine, jmo.
I feel like being honest and willing to tell him the truth is the best way to help him. By letting him think that goals like these can be achieved, he will likely be throwing money at these GT40 heads, expecting 400 wheel horsepower, only to be let down.

Chasel123, if you are reading this, I am not trying to be rude. At 15 years old, I too, am fairly new to the scene. It is best to either lower your expectations and build something like my motor, or be willing to spend a lot more money to hit your goal of 400 at the wheels. I can confidently say that my 320 ish horsepower is plenty in a very light 4 eye. If you really want to hit 400 at the wheels on a budget, you will most likely have to build an iron headed 302 similar to mine, and pick up a simple turbo kit.

Just don't go insane with the boost, as these blocks probably won't do to well with too much more than the power than you're after.

I feel like being honest and willing to tell him the truth is the best way to help him. By letting him think that goals like these can be achieved, he will likely be throwing money at these GT40 heads, expecting 400 wheel horsepower, only to be let down.

Chasel123, if you are reading this, I am not trying to be rude. At 15 years old, I too, am fairly new to the scene. It is best to either lower your expectations and build something like my motor, or be willing to spend a lot more money to hit your goal of 400 at the wheels. I can confidently say that my 320 ish horsepower is plenty in a very light 4 eye. If you really want to hit 400 at the wheels on a budget, you will most likely have to build an iron headed 302 similar to mine, and pick up a simple turbo kit.

Just don't go insane with the boost, as these blocks probably won't do to well with too much more than the power than you're after.
You are correct, I just am not qualified to give advice on 400hp n/a builds, I can tell you how to fix an oil leak, help find 'how to fix this' info or when that 4' high wing looks ridiculous duct taped to the trunk of your 91 coupe.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Have you honestly seen a 4 foot high wing duct taped to the trunk of a '91 coupe? If so, I need to see this.

Mine isn't a coupe but I like the look of the hatch way better.

1566565348445.png

I don't mess around when it comes to aerodynamics. :cool:

• Haha