AT Racing World heads? (Or other "cheap" brands...)

Thank you LILCBRA for your invitation to this thread.
I am a beginner Mustang 68 302 owner. I am going to buy a 347 stroker kit with Summitracing and I have some questions, like what kind of heads cylinders to install, a friend of my sell really cheap a GT40p. Somebody knows if it works? Will be a good idea?
I am looking just for a street "sport" car, no NOS, no track, no supercharger. I think I don't need forged pistons or forged crankshaft right?
Mustang HT '68 302, Mexico build, mexican engine, Tremec T5 Mustang '95 + rear end 8.8" posi + 3.73.
Thank you in advance.
Those heads will choke the life out of a 347.

• Sponsors (?)

Good porting will cost as much as better heads and still far way short.
I'm biased, but i think gt40p heads are paper weights.
I'd be shooting for at least TFS 170's, afr 165's. No they aren't budget, but the heads make all the power.
And even with those heads, that would be settling imo on a 347, i'd really want 11r's or 185's (or better).

I assure you, buying quality heads (even if it takes longer to get the money in order), will save you money and make more power in the long run.
There really isn't any point in building a 275rwhp 347, when you could do nearly the same with a junkyard explorer engine for $500.

Reactions: 1 user
Good porting will cost as much as better heads and still far way short.
I'm biased, but i think gt40p heads are paper weights.
I'd be shooting for at least TFS 170's, afr 165's. No they aren't budget, but the heads make all the power.
And even with those heads, that would be settling imo on a 347, i'd really want 11r's or 185's (or better).

I assure you, buying quality heads (even if it takes longer to get the money in order), will save you money and make more power in the long run.
There really isn't any point in building a 275rwhp 347, when you could do nearly the same with a junkyard explorer engine for $500.
2000xp8
thank you! I am going to check this cylinder heads.

Look, if you look at flow numbers that a 347 needs to just run good you will find the answers, think of it this way, it would not pay to put 289 or 302 heads, even ported to within an inch of their lives, on a 347 stroker engine, you would be better off putting 351 heads on it (ported of course).
Look around here and see what heads are on similar builds.
What is the plan here? You have to have a plan, if you don't you will waste your time and money ending up with a high rpm engine you won't drive around town or a slug that barely gets out of it's own way.
It ain't just a set of heads, it's a cam, trans type, rear gear ratio, tire size, vehicle weight not to mention how/where you are going to drive it.
If it's just a street car than don't get caught up in the 'I gotta get every ounce of hp I can.
A 300-325 hp car on the street can be dependable and very fun to drive.
But you have to have a plan.

@CrisNavarro as I mentioned in the other thread, I believe these would work fairly well and they're probably about the best deal dollar for dollar. If the flow numbers are legit they should flow well enough for a 347.

They were on sale a few months back, I think they were <$800/pair directly from them. If you're patient you may get lucky and get them for a decent price. I have them saved in my favorites so I can try to do the same. And as I said before, @a91what has a set and likes them as far as the initial impression. He posted pics on page 3 of this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Look, if you look at flow numbers that a 347 needs to just run good you will find the answers, think of it this way, it would not pay to put 289 or 302 heads, even ported to within an inch of their lives, on a 347 stroker engine, you would be better off putting 351 heads on it (ported of course).
Look around here and see what heads are on similar builds.
What is the plan here? You have to have a plan, if you don't you will waste your time and money ending up with a high rpm engine you won't drive around town or a slug that barely gets out of it's own way.
It ain't just a set of heads, it's a cam, trans type, rear gear ratio, tire size, vehicle weight not to mention how/where you are going to drive it.
If it's just a street car than don't get caught up in the 'I gotta get every ounce of hp I can.
A 300-325 hp car on the street can be dependable and very fun to drive.
But you have to have a plan.
Hi General karthief,
thank you for your point of view.
I do have a plan to increase power, but I didn't know that heads were so important. I heard from some friends that using the GT40, GT40p, 289, 302 or 351 and porting them would save money and have the same result. I already see with the comments of the forum that porting them can be as expensive as buying some of the recommendations that they give me here. A mechanic told me that 351 heads doen't work in a 302 block.
I also saw in this thread "347 stroker cylinder heads", "Put parts that are good on a 302 on a 347 and you will get 302 power", now I got it!
'Learning by doing' or ''Learning by reading' :D

@CrisNavarro as I mentioned in the other thread, I believe these would work fairly well and they're probably about the best deal dollar for dollar. If the flow numbers are legit they should flow well enough for a 347.

They were on sale a few months back, I think they were <$800/pair directly from them. If you're patient you may get lucky and get them for a decent price. I have them saved in my favorites so I can try to do the same. And as I said before, @a91what has a set and likes them as far as the initial impression. He posted pics on page 3 of this thread.
Hi LILCBRA,
Thank you again, I have your proposals in my radar, I wanted the opinions from the others also.
But if I compare a new pair of aluminium for 800 usd or maybe 600 usd with an old 351 plus the porting price, I have to said the news will be more better.
Now I am learning how this work...

You being in Spain makes a difference in dollars and cents compared to here in the US. I don't know the price and availability of aftermarket parts there but I can figure that 'making do with what is available and you can afford' is a factor.
Yes, 351 heads can be installed on a 302 block but the work/cost it takes to do this compared to using aluminum heads today does not make sense.

• Agree
You being in Spain makes a difference in dollars and cents compared to here in the US. I don't know the price and availability of aftermarket parts there but I can figure that 'making do with what is available and you can afford' is a factor.
Yes, 351 heads can be installed on a 302 block but the work/cost it takes to do this compared to using aluminum heads today does not make sense.
I live in Mexico, but and the end of the year I return to Spain with my Mustang...

Forget about flow numbers.
They don't tell the whole story.
Forget about all types of cheap ported heads, they don't make financial sense.
You probably won't find too many guys here with ported heads these days, it's been long proven it's not an effective use of money.

You are going across the world where likely there won't be nearly as much american muscle support and certainly less chance to do it right a second time.

If you are really building a 347 and taking it across sea, do yourself a favor, don't buy cheap no name anything.
Do it once and do it right or you may have a 500lb anchor when you get to spain.

I'd even consider a crate engine or long block.

• Agree
Forget about flow numbers.
They don't tell the whole story.
Forget about all types of cheap ported heads, they don't make financial sense.
You probably won't find too many guys here with ported heads these days, it's been long proven it's not an effective use of money.

You are going across the world where likely there won't be nearly as much american muscle support and certainly less chance to do it right a second time.

If you are really building a 347 and taking it across sea, do yourself a favor, don't buy cheap no name anything.
Do it once and do it right or you may have a 500lb anchor when you get to spain.

I'd even consider a crate engine or long block.
So forget about flow numbers, why? Flow=hp and guys like in the above video have proven that these are a solid budget minded choice, myself included. These dont just have large lift numbers they perform well at low and moderate lift.

Quality, flow, and cost are the only determinant factors here.

So forget about flow numbers, why? Flow=hp and guys like in the above video have proven that these are a solid budget minded choice, myself included. These dont just have large lift numbers they perform well at low and moderate lift.

Quality, flow, and cost are the only determinant factors here.

Are you suggesting the video in post #76 is proof that these are good heads?
Far from real world usage test.

Could they be fine? Of course, But If you were dragging a set of heads half way around the world this is the set you would choose?
They guy is crossing an ocean, i would leave nothing to chance.

Are you suggesting the video in post #76 is proof that these are good heads?
Far from real world usage test.

Could they be fine? Of course, But If you were dragging a set of heads half way around the world this is the set you would choose?
They guy is crossing an ocean, i would leave nothing to chance.
Myself and other members have these heads on our engines right now. So yeah.