ATT: DRAG RACERS how to installing a fuel cell the correct way

RAYZEN CAINE

Feb 1, 2007
I'm kinda confused on how to correctly install a fuel cell. I have found some pictures of some stangs with the cell hanging a little below the trunk floor (aluminum cell). And some mounted above the trunk floor. I have a 16 gallon that I'm putting in my notch and I don't want to have a problem at the tech-in.

And on a side note is there a easy way to convert my existing tank to use a external fuel pump? My car is carberated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

just use fuel cell straps and put it down in the space where the tire used to be and vent it out through the floor but leave the rear seat or make a rear seat delete so you have a fire wall between the pass compartment and the fuel cell then it will pass tech

some people cut the tire holder out and sheet metal the trunk floor flat first

just use fuel cell straps and put it down in the space where the tire used to be and vent it out through the floor but leave the rear seat or make a rear seat delete so you have a fire wall between the pass compartment and the fuel cell then it will pass tech

some people cut the tire holder out and sheet metal the trunk floor flat first

Will I still pass if I cut a hole to let the sump hang out?
Thanks for your help.

Is the rear bottom stock sheetmetal?

Do you plan on cutting it out and replacing with a flat piece? Or just the spare tire well?

If you dont want to cut your floor,you'll need to build a "cage" for the cell to support it above the floor. Otherwise cut a hole in the floor for the sump to come through and strap it down securely. If it is a plastic cell,it MUST have a ground wire attached to the metal ring on the fill hole and going to a chassis ground. Metal cells do not need the ground wire.

If the fuel cell is large (10+ gallons) my suggestion would be to cut out the tire well and make a support out of some 1/2"x1/2" 16ga steel tube to mount the cell more securely and also for the battery that will most likey be back there also.

As mentioned pump must be at or perferably below sump level.

Also as side note,sump must be covered with a piece of 16ga steel or .032 aluminum.

Is the rear bottom stock sheetmetal?

Do you plan on cutting it out and replacing with a flat piece? Or just the spare tire well?

If you dont want to cut your floor,you'll need to build a "cage" for the cell to support it above the floor. Otherwise cut a hole in the floor for the sump to come through and strap it down securely. If it is a plastic cell,it MUST have a ground wire attached to the metal ring on the fill hole and going to a chassis ground. Metal cells do not need the ground wire.

If the fuel cell is large (10+ gallons) my suggestion would be to cut out the tire well and make a support out of some 1/2"x1/2" 16ga steel tube to mount the cell more securely and also for the battery that will most likey be back there also.

As mentioned pump must be at or perferably below sump level.

Also as side note,sump must be covered with a piece of 16ga steel or .032 aluminum.

I’m cutting a hole just for the sump in the spare tire well. It is an aluminum 16 gallon cell and it fits in the spare tire well perfect.

From what the other members say, I won’t need to make a dogg house for my sump since its aluminum.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. :shrug: