Attn: Mike (stprorolla49) and anyone else comtemplating Cobra brakes

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Chicagoland
My brakes arrived from www.buyfordracing.com today. I got the kit with the black calipers ($329 + shipping = $358) and I can't believe the difference in feel in my pedal alone, let alone the stopping power. The difference is night and day. I ordered them on Tuesday, used the cheapest shipping option, and they're on the car now. They arrived this morning.

The kit consists of:
2 ea. calipers
2 ea. Brembo 13" rotors
2 ea. stainless steel lines and banjo bolts

If you're currently floating the idea in your head of getting Cobra brakes on your GT, I say go for it! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Just take your time. I'd say it was 2 hours or so tops, taking my time. Just get an assortment of wrenches out (15mm for the caliper bolts, 7/16 for the lines, 14mm for the banjo bolts, and 12mm for the bleeder screws). Probably want a BFH handy to get the caliper bolts out, but after that it's easy and straightforward.

I completely agree. I installed mine about a month ago and now the pedal feels so much firmer and fade is non-existant. Gave me alot more confidence on the road, in case I ever have to make an emergency stop, I know the brakes won't let me down :nice:

Can some 1 please explain to me If lets say my car which has no ABS. Why would bigger brakes work?? Ill just end up locking then faster right???

True, I thought only GTS' didn't come with ABS :shrug:
But yeah, my GT brakes would never have been able to lock-up the front wheels on dry pavement, even with both feet pushing on the pedal (not that I tried). With the new ones, its not too difficult to get ABS to kick-in, but probably the more important thing is that they don't fade when braking at high speed. That was the scariest part about the stock setup that could have got me killed a few times.

Me and a bud did all 4 cobra brakes in about 6 hours... BUT the rear is a PITA and we had to cut off my calipers in front... the 15mm bolts were frozen solid.... Otherwise, yeah 2 hours install then 1 hour to do a really good 4 wheel bleeding....

True, I thought only GTS' didn't come with ABS :shrug:
But yeah, my GT brakes would never have been able to lock-up the front wheels on dry pavement, even with both feet pushing on the pedal (not that I tried). With the new ones, its not too difficult to get ABS to kick-in, but probably the more important thing is that they don't fade when braking at high speed. That was the scariest part about the stock setup that could have got me killed a few times.

And is HAS gotten others killed - no kidding. No I am not accepting the argument that you should get killed for not knowing how "use" the breaks either that some of you post. Not everyone is a "skilled" as some of you "mario andelettttti's out there. The stock brakes are BELOW what I would consider acceptable standards for any car.

Can some 1 please explain to me If lets say my car which has no ABS. Why would bigger brakes work?? Ill just end up locking then faster right???
You would think that, but it's not how it completely works.

It's actually more of an energy equation. When you step on the brakes you end up transferring the kinetic energy of the moving car into basically heat and noise (mostly heat). With bigger brakes, you have a larger surface area to dissipate the heat (which is more efficient) and you can run larger pads (to create more friction since you are more efficient at getting rid of the heat) so you can slow down faster. With the larger pads, you need more 'hydraulic' advantage to push them, so you jump to 2 piston and sometimes 4 piston calipers.

If you stomp on the big brakes, yes they will lock up, but anywhere that isn't locking up is slowing you down faster.