Auto to Manual Trans???

Craig96

Jun 6, 2011
I just finished installing a 5spd Maual trans in my 1996 Mustang GT. The tranny came out of a 1996 Saleen. My problem is know the check engine light flashes with nothing but transmission codes and the Over Drive light flashes of course. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I have heard everything from having to change just the computer to having to change the ignition switch insterment cluster and computer from a donor car that has the same set up I have now! What is the real facts on how to fix this problem? HELP it's driving me nuts. The car seems to run and idle ok. But I want the job to be done right. I can be reached at [email protected] THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I am doing the same swap. As far as I can tell you need a 5 speed ECU flashed for your car by Ford. did you also install the manual trans wiring harness? Its different from the auto harness.

Which harness do you mean? I installed a jumper wire for the N/S switch and I installed the small harness for back up lights. Thanks for your feed back. I have been told that you can go into the original PCM and just chang the AUTO TRANS LOAD=6 if you change the 6 to a 0 that will disable the auto trans functions. Any good tuner or Ford dealer can do this I'm told. I contacted my local ford dealer and the Tech that does most of the PCM work was on a road test I'm waiting for a call back to see if this can be done. Again THANKS for the feedback and look forward to any one else that can shed some light on this question

Which harness do you mean? I installed a jumper wire for the N/S switch and I installed the small harness for back up lights. Thanks for your feed back. I have been told that you can go into the original PCM and just chang the AUTO TRANS LOAD=6 if you change the 6 to a 0 that will disable the auto trans functions. Any good tuner or Ford dealer can do this I'm told. I contacted my local ford dealer and the Tech that does most of the PCM work was on a road test I'm waiting for a call back to see if this can be done. Again THANKS for the feedback and look forward to any one else that can shed some light on this question

Where did you get the small harness you talk about, and also where did you find the wiring diagrams to know which pins to jumper?

I was planning on buying the manual trans harness. Theres an auto or manual version. It plugs into the main engine harness at two points.

I think the manual version is part number 15525 and auto is 7C7078 but Im not used to reading these drawings... See attached pdf. Maybe you can help me work out exactly what I need to do here...

Attachments

• GTTrannyHarness.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 242
get a manual car puter or turn off the auto trans function with a tuner.

if you have a 96 you can swap computers without having to reprogram your key since pats is in the dash on the 96 model years, at least on the GTs it is.

Thanks!

Getting my local tuner to flash the ECU might be a pain. The car wont even start with the auto ECU in place, so its not like I can drive it there after doing the trans swap. I'll get a quote from the dealer for flashing a 5 speed ECU with my PATS and mileage etc.