auto to t45 swap

jlds91389

Feb 1, 2009
Orange Tx
i cant pick up a t45 tranny out of a 98 cobra with 80k miles on it for 300 or maybe 200 bucks. is it worth it to get it and try and convert my auto? if so is there a tech article to show the parts needed? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Can you get everything else? Pedal assembly, flywheel, clutch cable and quadrant, shifter and boots, wiring harness for trans? If you can get all the misc stuff for it reasonably cheap, then its probably a good deal. But, you will need a tune, a VSS box probably as it is a manual speedo gear not electronic (don't know if yours is electronic or gear driven), and get a new clutch. The little stuff adds up. Just my .02 and experience with my own auto to manual swap.

Can you get everything else? Pedal assembly, flywheel, clutch cable and quadrant, shifter and boots, wiring harness for trans? If you can get all the misc stuff for it reasonably cheap, then its probably a good deal. But, you will need a tune, a VSS box probably as it is a manual speedo gear not electronic (don't know if yours is electronic or gear driven), and get a new clutch. The little stuff adds up. Just my .02 and experience with my own auto to manual swap.

Yeah, as long as all the little parts can be gathered together for cheap and you can do the install yourself or have cheap help, it wouldn't be too bad.

BTW... a manually converted Crown Vic? That's beyond awesome... that's the coolest thing I've heard of in a while.

I can get some of the stuff off of a v6 5 speed and I was going to get a kit with the firewall adjuster, cable , and quadrant. What kind of wiring harness do I need and what do I do with the auto tranny lines?

You can just leave the cooler and plug the lines there. As far as the wiring, you will want to jump your neutral safety switch so it is always on if you keep your exhisting harness, you will also probably have to splice in the new back up lamp switch.

You will also need to run your ignition wire into the clutch pedal position switch on the new pedal assembly (just cut it and run it to the switch, in and out) you will do good by getting a wiring schematic of your car, that will tell you what you will need to do.

Like everyone said, if you can get the parts cheap its worth it.

I did the swap on my 96 but then again I had a complete parts car to swap everything over from.

Doing the swap itself is not really much harder than doing a clutch job, just a little more glorified IMO. The pedal box and cutting the trans tunnel are really the more "involved" parts of the project.

It took me like 3.5 hours to do the actual swap on a lift.

Also, the car will run with an auto ECU. You can turn off the auto trans functions with a tune or just swap in a new ECU. I actually have a manual computer laying around from my 98 if you need it.

Also, search for a member on here: mus2j

I believe that was his username, he did the swap also and helped me through alot of questions I had.

^
True. But its actually the other way around.

96-97 were return and 98 up was returnless.

I knew that some early 98's were still return style but then I remembered that my 98 was the returnless. Good point.

What makes the ECU's different BTW?(not to threadjack)