Automatic Car Wash With A Cold Air Intake

TheHappyPeanut

Dec 8, 2017
I drive a 2017 GT and recently bought a ROUSH Performance CAI. I've read some places that it's dangerous to get the filter wet, while others say you'd essentially have to submerge the filter in water for it to destroy your engine. My main concern is the hood vent that's right above the CAI.

Am I safe driving this thing through the car wash?

• Sponsors (?)

You would have to substantially submerge the filter to get your engine to take in enough water to hurt anything. At most it may ingest high-humidity air while idling in a car wash. When I used to use drive-through car washes, I did shut it down to keep the paper filter from getting wet, but I'm assuming your CAI has a washable textile filter so that shouldn't be an issue for you. Your engine will ingest more moisture driving on the highway in a hard rain that it will idling in a car wash. Just mind the deep puddles if it's mounted low. That's the engine killer.

Reactions: 1 user
I just installed a ford performance cold air intake and it sits right below my 2017 GT hood heat vent. Where can I find a plug for the vent? Is it necessary? I live in Florida and there are plenty of down pours.