Automatic or Manual?

88Brandon88

Jul 12, 2006
I found a 1998 v6 3.8L mustang coupe on a salvage auction website that I want to buy, but the passenger seat is leaning back covering where the shift knob would be. So I can't tell if it is an automatic or a manual. I can show you all the pictures, and could any of you tell me if it is a stick or not? I don't know how to determine it. I only have the 1st 11 numbers of the vin, so I can't look it up.

image3fq.jpg

Attachments

• image3fq.jpg
    image3fq.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 69
  • Sponsors (?)

its a manual. on the auto tranny, the park position is almost right on the dash, which is closer than the stick in the picture. so its probably in neutral with the e brake not all the way up

Yeah, looks like a Manual to me with the knob missing from the shifter, the blue piece sticking above the seat. The shifter looks to be in 2nd or 4th gear so they could pull out whatever radio was in there. I remember my shifter getting in the way sometimes when I messed with my radio on my old 96. Nice two tone dash though, never seen that on a v6 coupe, also white face guages, aftermarket rims, clear signal corners, dual exhaust. Prolly had some fancy shifter knob someone took off.

Definately a manual. One thing most people don't realize is that on the 99-04 (at least) stangs, there is a key lock on the manuals (right above the ignition key you have to depress a lever to get the key out)... but not on the automatic.