Automatic Shaking

MachAzure

May 9, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Today while I was sitting at a stoplight my whole car starts to shake. :bang: I took off and the auto tranny would not shift out of 1st as it sometimes does so I manually put it down to 2nd. Now every time I am stopped the car is shaking.

What could this be? Torque converter?

I was thinking about swapping over to a T-45 anyway so this might be the time.

Thanks

BTW- car has 86k miles on it. I am 2nd owner so don't know if transmission has been rebuilt. It will break the tires loose shifting to second though. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You might want to try changing your tranny fluild. I had some severe problems with shuddering that made me think my clutch packs were going. Turned out, my tranny fluid was very very old. I changed it and no more problems. I would start by checking the little things before I jumped the gun and switched transmissions.
After you take off the transmission pan, unbolt the valve body. There is ALOT of trans fluid up there that won't come out if you don't take out the valve body. Hopefully, that will fix your problem.

gruntman31 said:
You might want to try changing your tranny fluild. I had some severe problems with shuddering that made me think my clutch packs were going. Turned out, my tranny fluid was very very old. I changed it and no more problems. I would start by checking the little things before I jumped the gun and switched transmissions.
After you take off the transmission pan, unbolt the valve body. There is ALOT of trans fluid up there that won't come out if you don't take out the valve body. Hopefully, that will fix your problem.

^ changed my fluid and it fixed my problem too. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

I agree that you should change the ATF and go from there. I'd go with the cheapest Mercon V you can find until you find out if changing the fluid was all that you needed or not. If it turns out that old fuid was your problem, change to a good synthetic down the road ... it will go through more abuse than conventional ATF. A tranny cooler is also a good addition if you don't have one already.

I recently changed the fluid about 3,000 miles ago to Mobil 1 synthetic that says it meets Dextron III and Mercon. I also changed the filter and added Lucas transmission additive. It has run fine until recently. :bang:

The car vibrates pretty violently in Park, neutral, and drive at low speeds. The vibration seems to be coming from the engine/transmission area as the hood vibrates quite a bit.

Is this torque converter shudder? If so, would changing fluid fix it or could the converter or tranny be shot?

Thanks a lot,
Bradley

bump