Automatic to Manual conversio0n

hipobuzz

Jul 22, 2007
:flag:
I am restoring a '67 mustang fastback which I bought as a shell. My plan is: 351 Windsor, T-5, discs, but original appearance.
The car was a 289 with auto. I am at the stage of redoing the interior. I need to install a clutch system with a cable connection. Do I need to replace the brake/clutch support? Can I add a clutch pedal to the (auto) support I have? I know I will need to replace the brake pedal to a manual version. Any comments on the Modern Driveline vs Ron Morris cable set up?
Thanks in advance.
Hipobuzz

• Sponsors (?)

You'll need to replace the entire pedal support with a manual pedal setup. I recently installed a mustangsteve cable clutch from mustangsteve.com So far it looks really nice but I haven't had a chance to try it out as I'm converting my project to a manual and haven't driven it in years.

You sure? On my 66 all you had to do was pull out the little rod the pedals pivot on and insert the clutch pedal where it would have been had it been a manual car. Took about an hour total to setup the entire clutch/clutch cable system.

To the OP, the 351w/T5 combo is fun :)

What do you mean that you will need to switch out the brake pedal to a Manual version??
You can use the same clutch brake pedal support if you are not switching to factory power brakes. If you are swithcing to factory power brakes you will need to purchase a new power brake pedal as well and you want to make sure your bracket has the correct hole already drilled out. When I did my conversion I had to change the bracket.
I would also recommend the hydraulic setup rather than the clutch cable. It gets tight with the 351 in there.

See my signature.

I switched my auto to manual, kept same support, got a clutch pedal from a local mustang junk yard and just cut down the brake pedal so a manual style brake pad will fit over it. The clutch pedal has the same rod that just replaces the one that was in there that the brake pedal rotates on... While you're down there you should do the roller conversion (Mustang Steve)...

I am going to a cable clutch set up, I still need to fab up a quadrant to weld to the clutch pedal...

What do you mean that you will need to switch out the brake pedal to a Manual version??
You can use the same clutch brake pedal support if you are not switching to factory power brakes. If you are swithcing to factory power brakes you will need to purchase a new power brake pedal as well and you want to make sure your bracket has the correct hole already drilled out. When I did my conversion I had to change the bracket.
I would also recommend the hydraulic setup rather than the clutch cable. It gets tight with the 351 in there.

See my signature.

Pretty sure I just took the pad off the brake pedal and chopped it to make it fit (think I got a new pad/trim designed for the original manual pedal).

Before you lock in on using a cable style clutch, you should check compatibility with the headers you are planning to run. Hydraulic affords much more room for any header you plan to use while cable clutch might limit you to shorties.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for all the help. I have ordered a manual trans/power assist brake pedal (Chocostang). I also have a clutch pedal, needle-bearing kit and a cable setup coming from Modern Driveline. My plan is to use shorty headers. I'll post the results when I get it done.
Hipobuzz