Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

t57socks

Jul 9, 2008
I am planning to swap a manual transmission in to my 1996 must gt with 4.6. the questions i have are what years are the pedal assemblies, drive shafts, and transmissions compatible with mine and are the v6 the same also. if anyone could answer me i would greatly appreciate it as it would allow me to choose from several different vehicles in the junk yard.

• Sponsors (?)

I am planning to swap a manual transmission in to my 1996 must gt with 4.6. the questions i have are what years are the pedal assemblies, drive shafts, and transmissions compatible with mine and are the v6 the same also. if anyone could answer me i would greatly appreciate it as it would allow me to choose from several different vehicles in the junk yard.

All I have to say is that you have a few options

1. TKO Transmission (5 spd) Really Strong...and expensive

2. T-56 (6spd) Transmission Strong, used in Cobra R, Terminators...Vipers

3. T-3650 (5spd used in New Edge cars) slightly better than T-45

4. T-45 (Stock on 96-98 Cobras) but they are weak

5. V-6 5 spd is not an option (too weak and will not bolt on)

The t-45 is the easiest swap...there are many types of t-45 (mech speedo or ele speedo, or Cobra spec vs GT spec)

the two questions you have to answer for more info are what you want to do w/ manual trans that you can't do w/ auto and how much are you looking to spend?

A "cheap" rebuilt t-45 is 700-900 bucks for the tranny alone...tko's and t-56's have gone for over 2k

I just got done doing this swap yeasterday. I have a 98 gt, I put in a TKO 600. I used the stock drive shaft with a spacer and a 31 spline yoke. The stock crossmember can be used. The TKO sat a inch forward of the aode. I did this all by myself on my back with the car jacked up about a foot off the ground. It was not fun and took about a week of working on it to get everything done. I would have had it done sooner but I didn't know what flywheel bolt pattern I had until I pulled the aode out to look. I used pedals from a 99+ gt and they went right in. i have about $3600.00 into the whole swap, but my tko was upgraded from promotion powertrain. The tranny alone was $2350.00.

:flag:

jay

Hello, I am also preparing to do a similar swap in a 1998 Mustang GT, is there a list that can be posted that shows the required changes that need to be made to the vehicle in order to make the swap work. I am also wondering how will the car start if you unplug the wiring harness of the automatic trans because the neutral safety switch is located on the trans. Also are the computers compatible automatic vs manual?