avoiding heat inside car

351w fastback

Jul 25, 2004
how do u guys keep the heat out of your interior? i can feel the heat inside my car once i get in it after it has ran for awhile. does dynamat help at all? what do u guys use? im thinking about pulling my interior and putting dynamat on the firewall and the rest of the floor to protect from the exhaust. do u think that would help?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Use insulation or carpet underlay. I'm not sure what dynomat would do. Isnt that for sound deadening?

I've heard eliminating the heater core does wonders.

I guess I'm not a real expert on this as I want to keep all my heat. Its -20 C with the wind here today. brrrr.

You don't need to take the heater core out. Just put a cut off valve on the incoming line from the water pump to the heater core. That is usually placed on the engine side firewall. Make sure your carpet underlayment is new or at least in good condition.

dynamat will work but expensive. Just plug up all the holes in the firewall with something. I have the same issue with my car. I yanked the fuzzy factory insulation out last spring. I was paying for it when I drove the car across the country durring the summer time. Didn't help I had a pinhole leak in the radator too.

All good replies. Just run through the sources and do your best to insulate them. I live in SC and it gets pretty warm in the summer.

-- Bypass the heater core with valve.
-- Wrap headers if you have them
-- Insulate the crap out of the firewall and floorboards (esp. over muffler location) with aluminum-faced stuff.
-- Make sure your air vents are clear of debris

thanks for the replys. i just bought some insulation from menards...its called reflectix and is aluminum on the outside with like bubblewrap on the inside..im gonna put 2 layers of that down on the floor and on the firewall and i have a couple of big holes in the firewall with no grommet around so that should help. where do u do the heater bypass? any pics would be great. i thought about wrapping my headers but everyone says negative things about doing it so i dont know if i should do it or not.