B&M Hammer Shifter for AOD

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
I own an '89 GT with an AOD. I plan on keeping the AOD, but swapping it out for a Lentech AOD with Edge converter. My parents asked for ideas for me for Christmas and I thought of getting the B&M Hammer shifter since it was in their Christmas price range. I'm going to run up to their house later and I know she will ask again what I want...so what are your thoughts on the B&M Hammer shifter? They say it fits the factory console...here is a pic:

13081002.jpg

13080885.jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• 13081002.jpg
    13081002.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • 13080885.jpg
    13080885.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 741
  • Sponsors (?)

From Park, Lift the trigger and pull down into Reverse. From there, its just repeated pulls until you get to the gear of choice. The shifter always recenters itself.

From 1st, push up once to D, push up again to OD, push up again to N. Lift trigger and push up to R and push up to P.

I though about that shifter for awhile until, a buddy got one. To me they are a pain in the a$$ to use. With the lentech you should be able to use a Hurst 1/4 or the B&M Pro stick. Since you have have 1-2-3 shift pattern, with OD on a switch.

I ran a B&M pro stick with my Art Carr AOD....

OK let me get this straight ... I have an AOD also so you guys shift from 1,D, to OD? I shift from 1, to D then back to 1 which is the hidden 2nd, then to D, then OD.
Am i confused but theres 4 shifts in an AOD but the console only reads 3 you guys knew this right? So my question is can you do the 4 shifts with a Hammer shifter shiftin up and back from 1 to 2nd?

You are doing whats called the 1-d-1 shuffle which is a way to hold 2nd gear on an AOD. It supposed to be bad for your tranny but some claim to have done it for years with no ill effects.

Yes you can do the 1-d-1 shuffle with the hammer shifter but its a little more of a pain

This is why a lot of people get the aftermarket valvebodys such as Lentech and Performance Automatic, so they can hold 2nd gear without the shuffle.

JUCD 5.0 said:
OK let me get this straight ... I have an AOD also so you guys shift from 1,D, to OD? I shift from 1, to D then back to 1 which is the hidden 2nd, then to D, then OD.
Am i confused but theres 4 shifts in an AOD but the console only reads 3 you guys knew this right? So my question is can you do the 4 shifts with a Hammer shifter shiftin up and back from 1 to 2nd?

aod shuffle, i heard its bad

I just installed the hammer in my car and couldn't be happier with it. I also bought their t-handle with button and wired the transbrake/2 step to it. Since I run a lentech valve body, I click from 1 - 2 -3 and then o/d is controlled electronically via a togle switch. Here's a couple of pics:

hammer1.jpg

hammer2.jpg

Attachments

• hammer1.jpg
    hammer1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 774
  • hammer2.jpg
    hammer2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,286
What is a transbrake? Do you like the Lentech tranny? I plan on installing one later in 2006. Do you have any pictures of your OD toggle switch? Your Hammer shifter looks great too. Thanks.