Progress Thread B4d Lx

Mustanglimey

Apr 14, 2012
Hertfordshire UK
Had the car since 2007, shipped it in from Indiana as foxes were not to common or popular then, getting better but an aquired taste for the "real" mustang folks. Owned a 66GT coupe, then a 97 SVT Cobra. really wanted a fox and a street strip car. Built by Mike Biggs with a 358w efi, Liberty faceplated TKO II and nitrous works setup.
I managed to run a best of 11.5@118mph and 10.6@132, best 60ft was 1.40. even though the motor was a bit tired. It was featured in on MM&FF and in Popular Hotrodding, and was even lucky to get it in American Car World here in the UK.
Added a tube K member and arms, Strange 10 ways f&r with front coil overs.
Bit of a culture shock going from a 14 second car with no traction, to wheels up and slick dance at the top end!
Only real issues were fried clutch, broken rear spring perch and destroyed countershaft. Lost a dog bone ironiclly on the street which allowed a lifter to rotate and flatten the roller. Was over due a refresh, found broken ring, scored bore and few other bits going on. After debate on the merits of a 2 bolt main sprayed for a while decided to upgrade the shortblock which became longblock, new fuel system, intake, maf,tb, exhaust sytem and transmission. That was 2012...time frame for parts, money, no garage (until 2 weeks ago) and my mums living with us for the past 5 years with dementia has slowed everything up to a point where i could not see this being done but knew if it wasnt i would regret it till I die.
This is just a hobby my wife allows me to indulge in, Im not a mechanic, no race driver, work in a warehouse, its just a burning love of American muscle cars and drag racing that i try to have a go at.
Anyways thats all the crap out the way now on with the mods,progress with pics.
Webster Race Cars added fabbed new tunnel and cross member for Liberty trans. Fitted engine, 3" street legal side exit exhaust ball and socket to my hooker 3.5" collectors, 1 chambers, on rose jointed mounts on rear of chassis so easy to remove install at track, if needed. Drag anti roll bars stops over the axle and my previous dumps are illegal here on the street.
9d49e2976f87d9d6c1faaec09e231858_zpsvmpvxkk4.jpg

Best tucked up bigtube headers ive seen on a 351w based motor.
90dcb8745bd7e92a8a13dc2b3d76979b_zpsgnpofjnq.jpg

917d88410d52ddb2c347d21d52b8d886_zpshv2ptehy.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

2" headers pretty good clearence, plug access better than the 1 3/4 Macs. I just had to grind the Lakewood some.
a267997f4ca2b24159656b764539c96b_zpsgvgwec9w.jpg

dc89d238d16d458df417b13b10599ec5_zpskar1dtd8.jpg

e64cb6c464e93fa213b85a90d3bffca8_zpsimoqw02u.jpg

Donathan Racing rear bumper support inc; chute mount. Great guy to deal with and supplied the chute and handle, etc;

d1a858cf9efaf2aecc1eff1e20b3e4b1_zps3yml0g0t.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Chris Hemmeter @ Behind Bars Race Cars fuel tank, stock filler,sender, and they added pump mount...I love it.
b7f53910a0a5e7165d073f0b71323404_zps8zbgywoa.jpg

7368C66D-5C6B-4126-910B-21F72A6D08FC_zpscngxcie7.jpg
I always find it amazing that people find a way to get an American car into their individual markets. I find it even more amazing that there is still support for things like drag racing in Europe,and the Uk as stringent as the EU is w/ regard to emissions and the environment. Kudo's to you sir,..it has to be an expensive hobby there.
But I gotta ask: The license plate...
Here in the US, the PO had to want that personal plate bad enough to settle for using the number4 as a substitute for the letter A.
Your plate looks like a reproduction...Why not just spell it the right way?

IMG_3644.PNG Hi, sorry totally off topic, over here you can only use/but generic plates, I think you can specify a plate as such in the US. Ours comprise letters and numbers and are age related so a newer plate can't go on an older car. Think mines an 85 plate so ok. I found this B4 DLX. Over here people who know what an LX mustang think it's a show plate. You can't get a plate with either no numbers or letters. We don't have
And they command big prices.
For instance my daily has SSW41N
S Swain, my wife TSW41N..it was up for £10995!!!
Big bucks Reg plates over here.Oh and I had US style stamped steel plates made up, they have to be white f, yellow rear to comply.
I got a deal on both of them.
Some can sell for £250,000
Paid £399 for B4D LX I love it
To give you an idea

IMG_3646.PNG Car sat for best part of 6 years had plenty of electrical woes which have been a PITA. My pms screen crashed for a third time so shipped back to Doug @ EFI Systems in SC, he replaced it for free, added surge protector and shipped NO CHARGE.
Great guy to deal with again.
Tweeking pms fuel tables at the mo, need to get to a garage to get extra bungs in exhaust for wideband. I've pulled the o2s and fitted the wideband son running open loop seems to be much happier not fighting them. They will go back in just need idle and low load so I can drive for MOT (makes road legal) and then can drive tune it.
Getting there slowly.

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0610.JPG Engine build by Woody @ Ford strokers
Dart SHP, around 10.8-1 internal balanced, RPM blue forged crank, RPM H beams, custom Wiseco dished 2618 forged slugs,gapped for up 300 shot. Woody had to fly cut them some more. Comp billet HR cam, Victor water pump, Total Engine Airflow spec'd 225 Highports, titanium retainers, PAC spring upgrade, Comp ultra golds, Morel roller lifters. Hooker Hkr 6228 headers. T Moss ported super vic opened to felpro 1262r angle milled to matchup to ports. Nitrous Express spraybar in plenum.Acufab 90mm, Pro M 93mm deka 60lb injectors.

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_2088.JPG Thanks so much! We have the Mustang Owners Club of GB, one of many, we still have the manufactuer divide, so always good to shut down a Chevy. American muscle is very popular over here.
My brother has a 05 GT with Brenspeed 490r upgrade 3000 stall convertor etc; Better drive than mine! over the years my friends have owned 71 Boss 351 69 Boss 429 69 428 CJ 67 Shelby GT350' 65 K code. I got to move a 68 competition orange. GT500 KR.
I'm firmly in the Ford camp, and loving drag racing what else but a fox, cowl n skinnies

well drove it 200 yards...longest run since end of 2011! Massive culture shock after my comfy 4x4.
Deffo a hands on experience,loud, manual brakes, steering, gutted, and the Liberty...I really need to man up.
Got to drive it 4 miles for MOT Friday....then I'm street legal. Pulled bit more fuel, Feels sounds much better, but still bit rich at 4K just Reving under no load. Be great to road test if I pass. I'm lucky as my man doing it races an 8 second street legal car so is understanding with some of the "compromises" ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, misunderstood your post or you mine.
Just to clarify Al Mcsweeny tests my car ( like a state inspection I suppose)
This is the race clas, all UK street legal, pump gas,treads, full exhaust etc;
Although there are 7 second cars in it. Way out of my junks league or pocket. I want a humble stick shift 9. IMG_2139.JPG
It's a great series to watch, check out the link.
https://www.streeteliminator.com/teams

Reactions: 1 user