Back At It, But Slow Progress

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
Have not been in here much in a couple years. But last month I pulled the 302 out of my 82 and began the install on my AFR 185 heads that have been in the bedroom for ten years and four moves.

First time the engines been out in ten years, but the heads are finally on the engine.

Then I found all the ceramic coating came off the headers and they rusted. So blasted and painted.

So next I thought I would simplify the belt system. Took the water pump and timing cover off. Stripped the threads on one bolt hole on the water passage in the block, driver side. Put in a helicoil last night. Fingers crossed it works. Just put the timing cover back on, using sealant vice a gasket. Hope that works again.

Lost the spacer for the crank pulley and new Fluidamper (also from ten years ago), had to buy another one. Going back with the March tensioner bracket, sitll serpentine. Got the March pulley and an autozone standard rotation pump, but the pulley wont fit the shaft, so it can wait.

Seems like three steps forward, two backwards. Beginning to hope it runs again, not so worried about going faster....

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Update, put the waterpump back on Sat, with no gaskets, just rtv, like it was, then the waterpump pulley needed to be shimmed out. So spent a couple hours making a shim. Its on there.

Today, torqued the crank bolt, drained the oil, and put it back in the car. Dinged up both valvecovers with the leveler.

Heres the engine on the stand

Attachments

• 82 mustang engine on stand.jpg
    82 mustang engine on stand.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: 1 user
Its back in. Found the 1 in header bolts were too long to tighten the headers to the heads, so got some 3/4 in ones. Darn near stripped one of the holes, but its on there and straight. Hook up the exhaust, put in spark plugs, then the accessories, carb and radiator.

Reactions: 1 users
Its my 82 hatch. Thanks on the valvecovers, there new Morosos to clear the poly locks. An aluminum to save weight and I hope not rust just sitting like the chrome ones do.

Reactions: 1 user
A photo of the engine in and shes alive again!

Engine out, changed the heads, did not take the dist out. Had carb off and back on, and she started up, idles fine and runs. Got a fanbelt issue, going back to my older setup for awhile.
IMG_20170401_190211181.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
its drivable, just has not been down a track in 5 years. Drove it yesterday, pressue washed it just now, going to drive around a bit and check stuff. Local track has not posed a schedule yet, and I have a bunch of travel, but as soon as possible we will see if it goes quicker.