• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Backfire Through Exhaust Now Will Not Start

  • Thread starter Thread starter webbie100
  • Start date Start date Sep 21, 2015
W

webbie100

New Member
Sep 21, 2015
3
0
1
Sep 21, 2015
#1
  • Sep 21, 2015
  • #1
I have a 1968 mustang with a 347 stroker. While I was driving the car it backfired through the exhaust (very loud boom). Car died instantly and would not start backup. Got car towed home and when I started looking the number 5 plug was disconnected, which I believe to be the cause of the backfire. I plugged the wire back in and still nothing. The engine will not hit a lick. Not sure what kind of damage a backfire can cause. Any help would be appreciated.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,436
8,391
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Sep 21, 2015
#2
  • Sep 21, 2015
  • #2
This can be several things .Timing gear spun on cam or crank shaft ,timing chain jumped teeth ,distributor drive gear sheared the roll pin in the drive gear ,distributor module burned out ,if it is MSD the box may have burned out .Could be a simple as a fuel pump quit ,plugged fuel line .
First thing to do is make sure it is getting fuel .
make sure everything has power .
see if the plugs are firing .
see if you have power to the distributor .
I had a drive gear roll pin shear on a distributor once and did the same thing ,when i took of the dist. cap i could turn the rotor by hand .
 
W

webbie100

New Member
Sep 21, 2015
3
0
1
Sep 21, 2015
#3
  • Sep 21, 2015
  • #3
I know I am getting fuel and also have power going to the distributor. I checked TDC and it lining up good so I don't think the timing jumped. I have not checked to see if the plugs are firing. I also have not check to see if I can turn the rotor by hand. I will check these out today and post back. Thanks for the help.
 
W

webbie100

New Member
Sep 21, 2015
3
0
1
Sep 23, 2015
#4
  • Sep 23, 2015
  • #4
I think I have found the problem. I think it is the ignition module quit working. I have order a new one and it will be in today.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
562
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
D
Engine 85 GT Backfires through Carb
  • DienstXIV
  • Oct 3, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
19
Views
863
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Oct 7, 2025
85GTStangGuy
S
Need help asap
  • shaggyman65
  • Dec 24, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
293
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 24, 2025
shaggyman65
S
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
476
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?