Bad, bad fuel smell

• Sponsors (?)

I had almost the same symptoms on my 1990 GT. I went and filled up gas one day and noticed a nice steady leak as I walked back to the car. Under 1/2 a tank there were no issues. Then I parked on a hill and saw another leak. The culprit was a dried out grommet on the filler neck. I've seen the gasket set for sale. It's not much $ but probably a fair amount of work. I hope this helps.

Question now. 130amp is sufficient? All I have is an electric fan and one stereo amp. All other electric accessories including bulbs are stock. A 130 is what was in there from when the 3G conversion was done, at least 10 years ago. Would like to go bigger of course to a 200a but I think it might be overkill and have heard possible risk for overheating the wires?

Question now. 130amp is sufficient? All I have is an electric fan and one stereo amp. All other electric accessories including bulbs are stock. A 130 is what was in there from when the 3G conversion was done, at least 10 years ago. Would like to go bigger of course to a 200a but I think it might be overkill and have heard possible risk for overheating the wires?
No need 3G is fine.
I have a 3G with basically the same load as you, handles it without issue.

Actually, buddy of mine owns a muscle car Resto business. A lot of times when they do factory style restos they actually rebuild components such as starters, alternators etc. I had my alternator powder coated about 10 years ago when I installed it. Color called near chrome. Looks beautiful but doesn’t charge anymore. I’m gonna give it to my buddy to give to his rebuilder to redo the insides. And they can wind it as high as I want, although 130 amps is enough. It probably cost me less than a brand new PA unit would, especially if I want one with a finish like chrome or polished like I have now. So now I just gotta find the time to pull it out of the car and get it over to him. Probably won’t be til after the holidays, but no big deal. Winter now here in the Northeast so it’s not going anywhere anyway if it takes a little time.

Update. When LMR was having their holiday sales I picked up a 130amp alternator kit which included the new alternator, all new plugs, stator and main alternator plug, and the power upgrade wire which is thick as battery cable to run from the alternator to solenoid on driver side fender. Got everything for under $200, which I thought was pretty good. Finally got the time to install it today. Fired her up and she was reading 14.6 volts. Very happy.

Reactions: 1 users
In the past, my car tank was leaking and when I figured out this, the smell has already killed me. I wasn't able to breathe out and finally jump out from there, as I was locked. Just make sure to see that car battery is of proper voltage and loads properly.

This is the last part of the original post
Should I panic? Car is in garage attached to house. Should I pull it out of garage? I opened windows which aired it out pretty good. Gonna call shop in the morning, they are closed today, but want to see if you guys think this scenario makes sense and whether I should be ok for now.
so at what point do moderators move a thread because it takes a different direction? Even if it appears to have stopped at a couple taverns on the way!

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
This is the last part of the original post
Should I panic? Car is in garage attached to house. Should I pull it out of garage? I opened windows which aired it out pretty good. Gonna call shop in the morning, they are closed today, but want to see if you guys think this scenario makes sense and whether I should be ok for now.
so at what point do moderators move a thread because it takes a different direction? Even if it appears to have stopped at a couple taverns on the way!

Just rewind to before Mr. Collins got involved. Thread was fine before then!

Reactions: 1 user