bad voltage regulator?

connella08

15 Year Member
Jul 3, 2013
hello everyone,

since my Audi died I have been forced to drive the mustang while I search for a replacement. I have noticed when I have my headlights on and I rev the engine, the headlights get dim. charging voltage at idle is 14.5 and I have a brand new battery. it runs and drives fine but I'm just concerned my voltage regulator might be on its way out. what are your thoughts, and is there anything else I should check?

• Sponsors (?)

I would suspect you might have a bad or missing ground. As I remember, the headlight harness is grounded to the chassis at the passenger side headlight. If you can find that and ensure it’s attached securely, that might help. If it looks questionable, remove the fastener, and make sure it’s a very clean and shinny metal attachment.

Also, check the battery ground is attached to the engine block and the smaller black wire coming from the battery is also connected to the sheet metal.

The regulator isn’t an expensive part and is easy to replace, if you want to do it for confidence in its continued use.

Let us know what you find. Steve